0728 - West Yellowstone Walkabout - Rejuvenation? Or Last Hurrah? - CycleBlaze

July 28, 2022

0728 - West Yellowstone Walkabout

Learning a bit about where I am

HAVING TIME ON MY HANDS TODAY, I decided to spend a couple hours wandering around the collection of buildings on the south side of Yellowstone Street, directly across the street from my hotel.  They're grand buildings built in the "Rustic" architectural style, designed (I think) by the same architect who chose the Rustic style for many of the historic National Park lodges and related buildings.

Yellowstone was designated as a National Park by President U.S. Grant in the 1870s.  It was remote, inaccessible wilderness at the time.  In fact, when the first explorer's reports came back East they were so incredible and fantastic that many people dismissed them as fiction, or Western tall tales.  It wasn't until a subsequent expedition, including an artist and two photographers, sent back more tangible evidence that the place was taken seriously.

A photo of a reproduction of the painting that helped convince Congress that Yellowstone is indeed a special place. I believe the original is in the Smithsonian's collection.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Within a few years the railroads, sensing a business opportunity, entered into partnerships with the government to provide rail service, combined with stagecoaches for "last mile" passenger delivery plus actual Park access, to the area of the Park.  Several railroads, among them the Northern Pacific, Chicago Burlington and Quincy, Union Pacific, and a couple others, established spurs terminating at various places surrounding the Park.  The Union Pacific chose West Yellowstone, which effectively caused the town to spring into existence.

They built a large station, plus associated Dining Lodge, and numerous affiliated buildings (lumber sheds, employee housing, etc.) along and near Yellowstone Street.

The front of the station, including the monumental "Union Pacific" ranch gate style log portico.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the view of the station that arriving passengers would have had.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Next to (west of) the station itself is "The Beanery", or dining hall, where passengers could get a meal before transferring to the stagecoaches (later, buses) that would take them into the Park. Guests were welcomed by singing waitresses.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It's a large building, and at its peak could turn out about 1,000 meals a day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Even the small outbuildings are in the Rustic style.
Heart 1 Comment 0
All of the complex is built of large blocks of rhyolite, the volcanic material ejected during the various Yellowstone eruptions.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Dining Hall also features these large windows, giving it an airy, open feel.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The station proper has been refurbished and converted into a museum chronicling the history of the UP's relationship with the town and the Park.

One of the original tourist stages. A visit to the Park consumed five and a half days.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Stage employees and passengers alike wore these light-colored linen dusters to reduce the dirt on their clothes. Passengers were strictly limited to 25 pounds of luggage so the dusters were used to help keep their clothes, well, less dirty if not "clean".
Heart 1 Comment 0
Visitors who didn't have a duster of their own could rent one for the duration of their visit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More examples of the dusters. They were provided by local vendors, not by the railroad per se.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An unusual amenity for a railroad station: a changing room. Here incoming and outgoing passengers could access luggage and clothing that had been or would be left behind, to be collected again on exiting the park. If someone was departing from a point other than where they entered their luggage would be forwarded. Each access point had an assigned luggage tag color, making it easy to determine which bags needed to be routed where.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Mike AylingHope they did a better job of luggage forwarding than the airlines in 2022!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo Mike AylingThey had fewer endpoints to work with. But the information didn't go into error rates. 😀
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
There's a multi-panel collection detailing the history of changes to the UP emblem over time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A modern problem.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And its solution: this is posted over the "MEN'S" sign.
Heart 1 Comment 0

I came away with the distinct impression that visiting Yellowstone was definitely an "adventure" in the early days.  In fact it wasn't until the post-WWII era, when large numbers of visitors began arriving by private automobile, that things really began to change.

Life as a stagecoach driver wasn't easy.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The Park's roads, rough, rugged, and sparse at the beginning, had been, and are still being, gradually expanded and improved. Motorized buses of various types, including the classic White model I showed in yesterday's entry, have long since supplanted the stagecoaches, of course. Still, the effects of harsh winters, severe weather, a short summer season, and heavy use continue to make road maintenance a difficult challenge even today.

Finished with the museum proper I ambled a little farther down Yellowstone Street, to where my attention had been drawn earlier by some of the municipal equipment.  Some is historic, some still in use.

Snow removal, a la the 1940s.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pretty basic and unsophisticated, but the scale hints at the size of the task.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More recently the town has acquired two of these "snow cutters". The auger blades are made of what looks like 3/8 or 1/2 inch steel. This one, surprisingly to me, came from Pakistan. Once I thought about it, though, it occurred to me that the Himalayan parts of that country must also have significant snow clearance tasks to perform.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It looks inspired by a corn or wheat harvester, and in some ways is similar.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is one of the operators, who just happened by as I was taking photos. He explained that they use the plows and road graders to push the snow into the middle of the street then use the snow cutters to load it into dump trucks. It's hauled to a vacant area at the edge of town and dumped there. He also said they're very inefficient: for every hour of operation this one takes about three hours of maintenance.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The other snow cutter is a bit newer but works on a similar principle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
CAUTION: KEEP CLEAR OF THE DISCHARGE CHUTE.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I think these are some of the trucks that haul the white stuff away. They may also see duty as actual plows, in some areas of town.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Finally, returning to the hotel, I had a very pleasant conversation with Garrett.  He and his wife Sarah own and operate the Historic Madison Hotel.  They're friendly, accommodating, and just all-around good folks.  I've enjoyed my time here, in no small measure to their gracious and easy hospitality.

Garrett. Accommodating, obliging, easy to chat with.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sarah, freshly out of the shower. She handled my initial change of dates and then subsequent modification to the booking with ease and aplomb.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Dana PalmerThanks for the history and accompanying photos. Iā€™m virtually traveling with you šŸ˜‰
Reply to this comment
1 year ago