to Bakhuzen/Bakhuizen, we're in Friesland (2 languages): Camping Wite Burch - Riding In My Grandfather's WW1 Footsteps - CycleBlaze

August 15, 2016

to Bakhuzen/Bakhuizen, we're in Friesland (2 languages): Camping Wite Burch

We have about 2 weeks left to cycle here and we love the feeling that we have here in the Netherlands. We know that each day will be filled with great cycling and that there can be no bad choices. That is, because if the route you are on is not what you want, then you simply take a turn on the next numbered road and you will probably find what you are looking for. It also helps that it is flat.

As we were leaving Makkun, we learned a few good lessons about the region of Friesland from a clerk in a store. We were looking for a Netherlands sticker for our bike. As the store only had Friesland stickers, I explained that we like to have a sticker for each country we visit - her response was that Friesland is a country. Point taken. Friesland is a proud and distinct region within the Netherlands which has long since strove for its independence. So, we bought the sticker for Friesland in solidarity with the spirit of this region.

The other thing we learned is that we should not call this country Holland. Holland describes two provinces - North and South Holland. The country is called the Netherlands. Locals forgive North Americans for this mistake, but we are going to try to honour this country that we love with its correct name.

We don't think that we'll get too far today as we keep finding villages to stop at and explore.

Once again, we found great camping a few km inland near Bakhuzen. This family run campground De Wite Burch has great facilities with a staff who run a program for the kids, a reasonably priced restaurant, exceptional sanitation block and a family who take great pride in offering great service and keeping the premises in great shape.

We generally prefer smaller, family run campgrounds and this camp in Makkun is certainly not in this category. It is a massive complex, located directly on the beach (wind surfers rejoice) and the pitches are pretty crowded. However, we were very impressed by the facilities (sanitation block pictured here) and the services which include a full COOP supermarket, cafe, store, etc.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Some of the shopping area at the camp in addition to a riding track for little kids.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We were lucky to get a spot right by the water where it was relatively calm. Some of the camping areas were chaotic and busy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Friesien flag - having travelled in Friesland we have come to appreciate ithe character and independent spirit it represents.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI like that the Friesien flag has hearts on it!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
The waterways and locks were very busy today. We do love seeing the old wooden boats still being used.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The dog is "looking good and feeling fine".
Heart 1 Comment 0
This could be a postcard of the Netherlands: sheep, bike, canal, boats and a bike trail.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Coming through the locks while we wait at the lift lock's bridge. We're sure they could fit our bike onboard. We'd be happy to go in whatever direction they're headed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This area features a vast network of canals and today we saw many families out for a ride....an idyllic day on the water.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We're not sure what these road markers mean (in this and the next photo) - but we liked them and thought they looked significant.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The rooflines of Hindeloopen. We liked the decorative metalwork above the chimneys.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As we entered Hindeloopen from a tiny lift-lock bridge down a narrow cobbled street, we were unprepared for how charming and special this village would be. We were entranced by what we saw. The man who runs this shop told us that this village was featured in a Dutch magazine in June, and suddenly they are seeing more tourists than before. In our ignorance, we are lucky that our route brought us here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The art of furniture building with hand painted decoration is a tradition rooted in this village. This business has been in the family for generations.
Heart 0 Comment 0
...in fact, it has been in the family since 1894.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We loved this man's shop - furniture builder, artist, designer of cross stitch patterns, etc. His son had worked in Houston BC on a ranch for 3 months.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Traditional brick building, lovely shutters, glossy black paint accents and lace curtains - lovely.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The decorative painting on the shutter is typical of the traditional art of this village.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We also like the metal detailing in the window above the painted glossy black door.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A modern artist's work in Hindeloopen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice detail on the lock keepers building in Hindeloopen.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The busy harbour and lock at Hindeloopen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The route after Hindeloopen is quite lovely and car free. The only problem is that there are gates at 3 spots to keep the sheep in. The other cyclists were kind and patient in helping us through.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cyclists can pass through, but the sheep clearly "own" this area.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And, by owning the trail, the sheep take the liberty of using the trail as their bathroom. We did our best to navigate around the droppings as much as we could.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The last gate of the day...
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a sight seeing these old boats in full sail.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We arrived at the campground, De Wite Burch and marvelled at the tranquility of the surroundings...when suddenly chaos broke out. We didn't know that they have a full children's activity program and the kids are eager to participate in the after dinner activities.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 42 km (26 miles)
Total: 2,428 km (1,508 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0