Amiens - so much to explore - Riding In My Grandfather's WW1 Footsteps - CycleBlaze

July 28, 2016

Amiens - so much to explore

Marie-Christine had encouraged us to visit the Cathedral here and she was so right about it is. The Cathedral is historically significant and filled with exquisite stained glass and interesting art.

We are keen to visit the home of Jules Verne Museum, wander the streets and take in the charm of this city. It will be a day on foot to wander as we like. It will be fun. When we have accomodation in the city, it makes it easy to stay. Also, our universal charger has died...the second one of the trip to stop working! So today we will need to find an electronics store.

This chocolate and candy shop has been here for 5 generations. We treated ourselves to some of their specialty chocolate almond pieces and the famous Cambrai candies.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Betises ("mistakes") de Cambrai are a very popular candy that were created by mistake when an error was made in its creation. Their popularity ensured that they would continue to be sold without any modification and the name Betises (mistakes) stuck.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Strolling around the pedestrian area in the centre of Amiens, we are reminded that France is on high security. As visitors, we can feel the strain that France as a country and their police/military are under in this unpredictable time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It seems like an incongruous image on this quiet shopping street, but it is a sign of the times.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Movie poster for "Around the World in 80 Days", based on the Jules Verne novel. The Jules Verne museum was excellent
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jules Verne is one of the top 3 internationally translated authors of all time. He keeps good company with William Shakespeare and Agatha Christie.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nelly Bly was inspired by Jules Verne's book, Around the World in 80 Days. This American adventurist from the 19th century, visited Jules in his home on her trip. Like Jules Verne, her adventures were captured in books, board games, etc.She managed to do the voyage in 72 days.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jules Verne's home and museum
Heart 0 Comment 0
The winding staircase to Jules Verne's tower
Heart 0 Comment 0
A whimsical creation of a magical flying machine in one of Jules Verne's books.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A wonderful letter from a boys school in England, thanking Verne for inspiring boys around the world with his imaginative stories
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The floor of Verne's study had a map of Phileas Fogg's route of "Round the World in 80 Days."
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry desperately needed his beard trimmed. So we walked into this man's barber shop and ended up with hair/beard cut for Barry and a haircut for Mary Ellen. The barber was a true master at his craft.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Outside of Jules Verne's home and museum
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Not everyone takes advantage of this service as the sidewalks have a lot of doggie poo on them
Heart 0 Comment 0
The pulpit in the Amiens Cathedral
Heart 0 Comment 0
Baroque sanctuary 1755
Heart 0 Comment 0
The great organ (1549) stands on a gallery dating from 1422
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The beheading of John the Baptist
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Weeping Angel, carved in 1636, has great significance for many reasons and much beloved as it represents despair at the cruelty of life. This image was used most commonly on postcards sent home by soldiers from the front.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Amiens Cathedral stained glass
Heart 1 Comment 0
A memorial for the Resistance Fighters of Amiens during the War.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Amiens Cathedral, this depicts the beheading of John the Baptist.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
At Jules Verne house, this replica of the ship he took to New York. It held over 5,000 passengers and it provided inspiration for his novel, The Floating City.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry is getting the full treatment at the Barbershop.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry with his beard trim and haircut
Heart 0 Comment 0
We talked for a long time with this woman during breakfast at the youth hostel. She is from Minden, Germany and has been working in the Netherlands. Her cycling trip was ending here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Amiens has many parks and open spaces for people to gather. We liked this whimsical summer themed area with beach chairs, lamp shades overhead and a water feature for motorized toy boats.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0