Ulm to Biberach-an-der-Riß - A Loop in Southwestern Germany - CycleBlaze

June 22, 2015

Ulm to Biberach-an-der-Riß

By car, the scenic route

Today was a day set aside for sightseeing around Ulm. Alex had taken the day off to show us around and then deliver us and our gear to Biberach. After a fabulous German breakfast we loaded up his van and set off to Blaubeuren. We visited Blautopf, the "blue pot" source of the Blau River, which is actually where the river emerges from an extensive underground cave system. The Blautopf-Vetterhöhle-System extends something like 5 kilometres underground and is being explored by a local cave diving club.

The Blautopf
Heart 0 Comment 0

From Blautopf, we hiked up to the ruins of Rusenschloss. It wasn't very far but nice to stretch our legs. Afterward, we drove to visit a different cave system--one with lights, pathways, and handrails. I think it is called Schertelshöhle. It was apparently discovered by accident by a sand-digger, a peasant who excavated and sold sand. His stockpile kept diminishing and when he investigated, he found that his sand was disappearing into a cleft in the rock. The cleft led to a significant cave system in this limestone plateau.

View from Rusenschloss ruins
Heart 0 Comment 0
Elevation view of Schertelshöhle
Heart 0 Comment 0
Plan view of Schertelshöhle
Heart 0 Comment 0
Al in the höhle, still looking a bit jetlagged. The handrails were cold, partly because they were underground but also because there was water running through one of them. We discovered this because there were occasional faucets, and when Alex opened one, running water emerged.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Back to Ulm for lunch at Nordsee, a chain restaurant that sells fish from the North Sea, cooked fresh to order. It also sells fresh fish to cook at home. We wondered if this chain could set up in BC.

After lunch, Alex drove us to Biberach and dropped us off at the Hotel Eberbacher Hof. We checked in and spent a couple of hours exploring. Dinner at the hotel next door and an early night.

The central square of Biberach-an-der-Riß
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0