Getting to Ulm - A Loop in Southwestern Germany - CycleBlaze

June 22, 2015

Getting to Ulm

Saturday was a very long day. We were up late Friday, packing, and I didn't get much sleep. We got to bed around midnight and I woke at 4:30 or 5:00; decided to get up at 5:30. While walking the dog in the morning, I realized I could use one of my rear panniers as a carry-on, along with my handlebar bag, instead of my two smaller front panniers which I had worried might be counted as two bags.

Our son dropped us off at Vancouver International Airport before 9:00 and we checked our bags and boarded with no problems. We were late taking off and late landing in Calgary but not too late. The long walk through the airport for the second leg of the trip was a good chance to stretch our legs before the 9-hour flight to Frankfurt.

The Frankfurt airport is so big that by the time we'd walked to the baggage carousels, my duffel was already going by and our other bags arrived before my duffel came around again. Al collected his oversize luggage and we, with me pushing our mountain of luggage on a cart and Al hauling his bike in its big Thule case (thanks for the loan Christina) were off to find the train station which, conveniently, is attached to the airport terminal building.

Up and down in just-big-enough elevators and along, we finally found the long-distance train station and boarded the Inter-City Express (ICE). We'd missed the direct train so took one heading south to Mannhiem where we'd change to another headed east to Ulm. An easy change, just across a platform, said the helpful DB agent. The seven minutes between trains should be plenty. (We learned later that changing at Stuttgart is to be avoided for this trip because it's not so easy.)

My colleague Alex met us at the Ulm train station as planned and took us to his home where we met his wife Tina and their children Luka, Noah, and Leone. After a fabulous barbecue lunch, washed down with beer and white wine, we assembled our bikes. Leone, age 7, was a great help and I certainly am not being facetious. We didn't have them set up in time to ride to the Tur before it closed so we went in the car. The climb was worthwhile and afterwards we wandered around the Altstadt. A light dinner and off to bed.

I forgot to take a photo of Ulm Minster from the outside, but this is a model on display inside. It's made of Lego. I suspect there are some special bricks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ulm from the top of the Munster tower. The Danube separates it from Neu Ulm, which is in Bavaria.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ulm rooftops
Heart 0 Comment 0
Al and Leone descending the tower
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking up at the upper part of the tower. The structure is so very airy and delicate looking. Visitors going up and down this part share the same narrow staircase.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The two of us, with the famous leaning house in the background. Do we look tired? (Never mind the digital noise!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The two of us, with the famous leaning house in the background. Do we look tired?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0