A Day in Bernkastel-Kues - A Loop in Southwestern Germany - CycleBlaze

July 6, 2015

A Day in Bernkastel-Kues

We decided to spend a day here and see some sights, something we haven't really done since Rothenburg. It's been just too damn hot but today the forecast high is only 28°C not 38°C. The story of the past few days is that we pass something interesting but it's too hot to be not moving on our bikes; we check into a hotel or gasthaus, shower, and by the time the temperature has gone down to something bearable, everything is closed.

I got up early and went for a walk. Here's the Bärenpütz (Bear Fountain), a piece of modern art, in its historic setting.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I liked this building and the ivy "bridge"
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking across the Mosel to Kues
Heart 0 Comment 0
We will walk up to Burg Lanshut after breakfast
Heart 0 Comment 0
Modern house in Kues with interesting decorative element
Heart 0 Comment 0
An elegant church in Kues
Heart 0 Comment 0
I liked this building
Heart 0 Comment 0

After breakfast, we visited the tourist info (a really good, well-stocked one) for s map and then hiked up to Burg Landshut. There has been a castle here since the 5th century but Landshut was built about 1500. It burnt in 1693 and only the ruins remain. However, it is being fixed up at present so access is limited, though the panoramic view is not. From what we could see, when the work is finished it will be really nice.

Information about the renovation of Burg Landshut
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking up the Mosel from Burg Landshut
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tower crane. It's a big construction project.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It looks like workers are suspended from the crane to repair? clean? the stonework
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking down the Mosel from Burg Landshut. Bernkastel is quite small ...
Heart 0 Comment 0
...but Kues is much larger.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A rare photo with both of us in it, Berg Landshut
Heart 0 Comment 0
Near Burg Landshut is a park with bas-relief stations of the cross.
Heart 0 Comment 0
St. Anna-Kapelle is the 14th station and boasts a mosaic pieta
Heart 0 Comment 0

After lunch we went to the Mosel Weinmuseum. The interactive displays didn't live up to my expectations, being rather boring, a lot of words going into too much technical detail that had been very poorly translated, but the video was interesting and we were happily surprised that our 5€ each entrance fee got us a glass of wine at the end. It wasn't busy and I was also given a glass of sparkling wine with elder liqueur (Germany's answer to kir royale) and then a glass of eiswein. We decided not to do the wine tasting at the adjacent Vinothek (a huge number of wines to taste for 18€ per person) though that had been our initial plan for the day.

Flowers are planted at the ends of many of the rows of vines.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The wine theme is everywhere.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I really like these iron signs
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Doktorbrunnen (Doctor Fountain) is another piece of modern art in Bernkastel. The four sides tell the story of an electoral prince from Trier whose health was restored by drinking wine from the Bernkastel area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The pillory chains near the Rathaus. With weather like we've been having, they could have been a death sentence (by sunstroke and dehydration).
Heart 0 Comment 0

Back in our room, we rested and watched the final km of today's stage in the Tour de France. All we understood of the German commentary was the names of the riders and the excitement in the commentators' voices as the peloton approached the finish line.

We went back to the same restaurant for another excellent meal. We both ordered things with sauces as we really enjoy the sauces in German cuisine. Today Oma's cheesecake was available (the server remembered us and pointed this out and it was really good, plain and not sweet.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0