Day 84 Lago Escondido: dusty road - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

January 14, 2000

Day 84 Lago Escondido: dusty road

Despite the late night we get up fairly early, pack up our things and get going. We can break camp fairly quickly.

We follow a section of old road that follows the Fagano Lake before joining the main highway Ruta 3 going south. Even though it's still early there already plenty of traffic throwing up dust and making our ride today a choking affair. Sometimes the dust is so dense that it's like cycling in fog except that fog doesn't stick to your face, eyebrows hair and all the clothes you are wearing.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

We are not planning to go very far today, mostly because the road now leads due west, straight into the wind that fortunately doesn't blow too strong today. 

Our goal is Lago Escondido, about 50km away and halfway to Ushuaia. We get there shortly after noon and ask for directions to the Hosteria Petrel we had read about in an internet trip-journal.

The road to Ushuaia climbs along the lake up to Paso Garibaldi, but the old road follows the lake a bit further before it very steeply climbs up to meet Ruta 3 at the pass. Just beginning of the climb is the Hosteria. We camp just besides the property on a grassy spot very near the lake.

There is a cold wind blowing and some rain showers make it over the pass. The best place to be is in the tent where we read and finish off our bottle of  oude genever (a Dutch liquor).

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 3,367 km (2,091 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0