Day 83 Tolhuin: beautiful sunset - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

January 13, 2000

Day 83 Tolhuin: beautiful sunset

We start an hour later than usual. The road today will be heading east. If there is a wind we would expect a tailwind, but there is only a gently breeze.

We stop to fix coffee and soup in a grove of trees. Eventually Road H rejoins Ruta 3 and asphalt. We find a supermercado. A man jumps out of his car and talks to Patrick about his hostel in Ushuaia. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We ride through town to find a panederia and we have empanadas and a coke. We ride on to the campground by the lake. It has wind shelters at the campsites and free firewood is provided. Patrick immediately builds a fire.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Florian, a dentist
Heart 0 Comment 0

A German man driving a VW Van with Patagonia boldly written on the sides comes to visit. His name is Florian and he turns out to be a dentist when not traveling. Later he returns with his supper to cook on the fire.

We keep the fire going all afternoon and evening, and we share wine and snacks. We get treated to a beautiful sunset over Fagano Lake, even the campground owner who has been mingling with his guests all evening gets excited and jumps up and down on the beach. We don't get to see the sunset often since the days are very long here, and we try to get early starts in the mornings so go to bed early as well.

Tonight, though we enjoy the fire until past midnight.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 31 km (19 miles)
Total: 3,317 km (2,060 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0