Day 175 Day Two: Pampas Tour - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

April 14, 2000

Day 175 Day Two: Pampas Tour

We awaken to the sounds of the jungle, mostly howler monkeys, sounds like a bad loudspeaker system from a Baptist church tent revival in the woods.

We have slept well, the mosquito nets worked.  After breakfast we do a jungle walk.  Again we get to see the plants that are used for various medicines or purposes by the people.  One is a vine that grows very quickly, the guide cuts a 6 ft section out, holds up one end and drinks the water that comes out from the bottom.  We also see the spiked trunk of the curare tree.  Very similar to the jungle tour but this time with a guide learning English and an interpreter.  Makes a difference in the enjoyment.

Heart 0 Comment 0

The main goal of the walk is to spot an anaconda, but as Carouso explains, this is very hard this time of year.  The pampas are flooded now so the water loving anaconda could be everywhere.  In the dry season, July through October, the river is about four meters lower confined to its major bed.  Then it’s a lot surer to meet the reptile on a walk like this.  Carouso tries hard though, but no luck. 

Back at camp we eat lunch and launch ourselves into the river with a swing rope.  Lot’s of fun!  You even feel clean for a while, until you have to put on a new layer of bug spray.  

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

After a siesta break, we get back in the canoes and go up a side arm of the Yacum.  Again, we see lots of monkeys, and birds.  We get into a more swampy area with large reed fields and find a large pool where a group of pink dolphins hangs out.  According to our guides where there are dolphins there are no caiman, the large man-eating crocodile.  So, we go swimming!  The dolphins keep their distance but are curious.  Then we cruise back to camp is very beautiful, lots of birds and nice evening light on all that green foliage.

Heart 0 Comment 0

 When we get back to camp the cook has dinner ready.  We eat, swim and get back in the canoe.  It’s dark now.  With our flashlights we try to spot alligator eyes.  We find a large group of babies, mama must be close but she doesn’t show herself.  On the way back we do see the large ominous eye of a lurking caiman.  The Israelis in our group aren’t totally happy.  First, of course, they find the trip too expensive.  When one asks why it's so  expensive Adam’s answer is perfect: He says, “because you are here.”   Also, they feel they paid to see an anaconda, caiman and everything else.  The rest of the group sides with Carouse though; this is not a zoo, it is all a matter of luck of the safari.

When we get back to camp, we quickly seek the protection of our mosquito nets.

 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0