Day 174 Day One: Rurrenabaque to Pampas Tour Yacum River - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

April 13, 2000

Day 174 Day One: Rurrenabaque to Pampas Tour Yacum River

This morning we and Sue return to La Cabana for pancakes.  Then the fluvial office for the Pampas tour.  We are in the vehicle with Martin (Swedish) Adam & Jo (English couple) from the jungle tour.  Joining us are two Canadian girls.  

It’s a 3 hour drive to Santa Rosa on a dusty, bumpy road.  We see a crocodile sunning along the bank of the pampas swamp.  The driver stops to point out the birds and slows when someone wants to take a picture.  We have lunch at Santa Rosa with another group from Fluvial.  We meet Steve and Australian also cycle touring.

Another 10 min drive and we arrive at the river.  3 Israeli’s and another Canadian, Matt, join us in our canoe with 2 guides, a cook and an interpreter, Evan.  Evan is British has come to Bolivia since 1994 would like to start some business in Rurrenabaque, but for now is teaching English to the guides.

We are in the canoes going upriver.  The shores look more jungle-like in places more than the jungle did.  We spot various birds along the way.  The second canoe stops at an earlier camp than we do.  We continue on, it's becoming dusk.  We reach an open area where the river branches and see pink dolphins feeding.

The camp is very much like the jungle camp.  An open tarped area for the cooks, a screened in building with table and benches for meals and a screened in building with wooden beds and foam mattresses.  We are each given a sheet and mosquito netting.  Most of us change quickly into long sleeves and long pants.  Those of us from the jungle trip are sporting lots of insect bites:  Jo has had quite a reaction to the bites.

We get settled in, have dinner.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0