Day 111 Posadas: a long night on a bus to get here - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

February 10, 2000

Day 111 Posadas: a long night on a bus to get here

At 4:30am we arrive at the bus terminal at Posada. It has been moved out of the city, so we are off the map of our Lonely Planet guidebook.

After reassembling our gear and bikes, Patrick asks some locals directions into the city and we head out toward the city center. We go to one hotel recommended in LP, Patrick checks it out and was not impressed. We go to a second choice around the corner, looks nice, but no one is at the desk. We go to a third choice Hotel Libarator, Patrick checks out a room and we check in. 

There is a very enthusiastic Desk Clerk.

Heart 0 Comment 0

To get to the room on the third floor, the gear comes off, and the bikes stand upright on the back wheel to fit into an elevator. Anything to make it work so not to carry all the gear and bike up 3 flights of stairs. All this is reminiscent of the 3 week ride we did in the Yucatan, arriving early morning by bus, and a small elevator.

We sleep until about 10am, then venture out to find breakfast and explore the city. We find a cafe and have cafe con leche and "fructuras" (pastries). Then we find a cambio to exchange our leftover Chile and Uruguay money. As we are looking in the LP book for a Cambio at an intersection, a man crosses the street to ask if we needed help in broken English.

We find the auto club and buy a map and get information from the tourist office. We eat a ham and cheese sandwich before going back to the hotel. It's close to noon and getting hot, and we are liking that our room is air conditioned. The TV in our room is bigger that the one we have at home and it's got Calle. There is the DW (Deutsche Welle) that has news in English, but no CNN. We do find a movie channel and spend the rest of the afternoon n AC luxury watching American movies with Spanish subtitles.

Later in the evening we go out again looking for a Chinese restaurant we found in the yellow pages. Somehow Patrick can always eat Chinese, though he wonders what he would eat in China. On our way back we get a 1/4kg bucket of ice cream and some bananas for tomorrow.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0