Week 60: to Sarahan - 2200m: cycle to Jeori, then a taxi to see the Shri Bhima Kali Ji temple - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

May 18, 2016

Week 60: to Sarahan - 2200m: cycle to Jeori, then a taxi to see the Shri Bhima Kali Ji temple

Through towns, the side of the road used to be lots of food stalls, now we see parked and wrecked cars lining the street. Today was a short ride in distance yet still took effort with 400meter elevation gain rewarded with fantastic scenery. We stop for chai and finish the fruit cake with apricot preserves. Again we see the tall snow covered mountains in the distance.

At Jeori, we've decide to take a side trip to Sarahan to see the Shri Bhima Kali Ji temple. But not cycling the 17 kms with a 700 meter climb. Patrick negotiates a price of 600 rupees to take us up by taxi. Otherwise, we would miss seeing this Temple. We have arrived at the junction at 0900, so we will have time to sight see and consider this half a rest day.

We survived the harrowing ride, as the driver took the twists and turns speeding up the mountain. We are dropped off at the temple guesthouse and are hoping there is a room. There is a room available but we have to wait for it to be cleaned. A family from Calcutta are interested in us and many group pictures are taken. This is what cycle touring is all about, meeting people.

The room is huge and overlooks a courtyard in front of the temple, hot water for a bucket bath, and internet service. For 550rupees, this is the best value room we've had in India. We eat lunch across the road at a Tibetan Cafe, for 160 rupees ($2), we had soup, momos, and shared a chow mein. Later in the afternoon we visited the temple. Eat dinner in the canteen downstairs and relax.

We meet a doctor out for his morning walk.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Small cyclist.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road is mostly good today, there are a few sandy sections though.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of many small settlements perched between the road and the steep river canyon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the end of the valley loom large mountains.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Group of school girls.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mountains in the distance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Arrived at the temple resthouse in Sarahan.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We meet a nice Indian family group from Calcutta at the temple.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Shri Bhima Kali Ji temple set against the Himalayas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This building style is called "pahari" and is typical to the Kinnaur region.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The local people are proud and do not mind having their picture taken.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View of the temple from our second floor room.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rachel in front of our room.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Metal panel on one of the temple doors.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The two towers in the center courtyard. The top floors are accessible through interior stairways and holds the shrine and the main diety.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Friendly citizen soldier guarding the temple. Who needs bullets when you have a bayonet! Are bayonets protected under the 2nd amendment?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tailor at work in his shop. When we ask to take his photo he insists on putting his good coat on first.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Traditional Kinnaur hats.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Richly carved wooden facades on the temple.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 23 km (14 miles)
Total: 17,312 km (10,751 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0