to Kalpa - 2770m: beautiful Kinnaur - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

May 19, 2016

to Kalpa - 2770m: beautiful Kinnaur

An early 17 km descent through military posts and great view of distant mountains, we are back to Jeori and the junction of NH 22, the old Hindustan-Tibetean highway.

The road climbs high above the Sutlej River, and in sections the road cut into the side of the steep hillsides with big overhangs. There are plenty of hydroelectric power tunnels and military posts. We stop at one dhaba and have an omelet and coffee. It's good that we did because food opportunities are limited from Wangtoo until Tapri where we had lunch of chow mein and momos.

Crossing the river at Wangtoo the pavement ends. After lunch in Tapri, Rachel heads out ahead until hearing Patrick call. The locals have told Patrick the road is blocked by a landslide and to cross river to another bridge then back to main road. Later there is another landslide and we wait for one way traffic to get through the bypass.

Our plan today is to get to the junction to Reokong Peo and hire a taxi straight through to Kalpa, since we already have our Inner Line Permit. Four kms from the junction, Patrick talks with a policeman who indicates there is not much there and helps arrange a ride for 1000 rupees. Well worth the price, especially after seeing the road of 800 meter elevation gain over 14 kms. This was a tough and rewarding day.

We check into Hotel Blue Lotus for 800 rupees with a million dollar view.

From Sarahan we descend back to the Sutlej River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Villages are nestled high in the side valleys.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Road follows the valley, high above the chocolate brown Sutlej River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Entering the Kinnaur district.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A Kinnauri style temple on a ridge high above the Sutlej River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The nice asphalt road deteriorates to this. It is rough going the rest of the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We enter the section of road where the Sutlej is hemmed in by sheer cliffs on both sides. The road is hewn into the rockfaces high above.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road is hewn into the rockfaces high above the Sutlej River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road is hewn into the rockfaces high above the Sutlej River. Spot the cyclist.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Road hewn into the rock faces
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road is only 1 1/2 cars wide, when two meet one has to move off.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Road high above the Sutlej River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The peaks from the Kinner Kailash range come in sight.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A huge landslide has dammed the Sutlej River and destroyed a bridge. Engineers have built a temporary crossing while most of the water is being diverted through the tunnels built for the hydro-electric projects.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Making our way on a temporary road past the landslide.
Heart 0 Comment 0
"Om mani padme hum" painted on a rock. We are entering Tibetan Buddhist lands.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Much of the Sutlej River is channeled through huge tunnels into hydro-electric plants. Some sections still run wild though. The water is chocolate brown and displays huge power.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Woman wearing the traditional Kinnauri hat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our gear after the jeep ride up to Kalpa.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View over the Kinner Kailash range from our hotel balcony at sunset.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 92 km (57 miles)
Total: 17,404 km (10,808 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0