Week 54: to Sauraha: ready for a restday - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

April 6, 2016

Week 54: to Sauraha: ready for a restday

Last night we arranged to have breakfast at 0630. Precisely at 0630 there was a knock on our door announcing breakfast. We think it was 0630, though haven't figured out the time difference for sure. India is five and one half hour off GMT and Nepal is another 15minutes off that.

The morning is hazy and as we leave town we see a long line of motorcycles at a gas station. We see this again in the next village. Not sure what that is about, whether it's because of power outages or gas shortages, because we saw a few gas stations that looked closed.

The road is without a shoulder but surface for the most part is decent. Again kids on bikes going to school, though not as many kids with school uniforms. The tight leggings the Indian girls wore have changed to a pantaloon style. The 3 wheeled tuk tuks have taken on a new look, the seats are on the sides and passengers face each other. Some look more like golf carts.

We had grown accustomed in India of finding plenty of roadside food stalls and haven't seen much of that yet in Nepal. One rest stop at a stall did have puri (small fried bread) served with potato curry (aalu tarkari).

After the last few days cycling, today at 53kms seemed like a short day. We turn off the main road toward Chitwan National Park. There are plenty of choices for accommodation here, we check into the Hotel Riverside that has a nice garden and view of the Rapti river.

Tomorrow is a rest day with a jeep safari in the afternoon. Hoping we have the luck of the safari and see rhino and wild elephant, with not much hope of seeing a tiger.

This highway is the only east-west in the low lands of Nepal and carries a lot of traffic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Love his hat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Busy Bharatpur
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This guy has been selling plants for 32 years, he seems like a happy guy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Turn-off to Chitwan NP
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of guesthouses to choose from in Sauhara. We decided to check out first one we read about on other cyclists blog here on CGOAB. The place is nice, on the river and has cheap fan-rooms so we look no further.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Traffic jam in Sauhara.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 53 km (33 miles)
Total: 15,469 km (9,606 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0