To Kawasoti: we had forgotten what hills were like - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

April 5, 2016

To Kawasoti: we had forgotten what hills were like

"This is dal bhat" Patrick asks. We made it to the top of today's one big climb. Stopping at one of the many food stalls and Patrick orders one lunch. We are back in the land of dal bhat.

In 2007, we ended the Asian stage of our trip cycling Lhasa to Katmandu on the Friendship highway. Our first night in Nepal we were in a Guesthouse with 2 Australian cyclists and we went to restaurant together. We were given menus that we all studied very carefully deciding on what to order. The waiter comes over, looks and points at each one of us as he says "dal bhat, dal bhat, dal bhat, dal bhat."

The climb was tough since we've had days and days of more or less flat terrain and three 100kms days. We also cycle through forests, haven't seen that for awhile either, though when descending back down, it was hot and muggy. The traffic was lighter, with more people on bikes especially through villages. Motorcyclists all wear helmets but not their passengers. Trucks less likely to give space when passing oncoming traffic, expecting traffic in their way to get out of their way. Less honking!

Rachel has wrapped her left wrist for support otherwise only a few other aches and pains from the crash yesterday. We know of one hotel that is on google maps but as we enter Kawasoti there is Hotel Diyalo on the left and decide to check it out. Hotel is still an ambiguous term like in Africa and India. Can mean only a restaurant, or can mean lodging, if advertised as Hotel and restaurant means both. This hotel did have a restaurant and turned out to have a very good cook! Along with very friendly staff.

Tomorrow we reach Chitwan National Park and a rest day.

Heart 0 Comment 0
This highway is the main highway between India and Kathmandu. Lots of truck traffic and buses. Patrick believes all bus drivers should be shot as a public safety measure, truck drivers shall be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is nice to see trees again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patrick with the cook and waiters at our hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 83 km (52 miles)
Total: 15,416 km (9,573 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0