Week 43: To Davangere: everyday life in India - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

January 20, 2016

Week 43: To Davangere: everyday life in India

"We are seeing more bicycles" says Rachel and Patrick points out "We are getting into a poorer area." The bicycle becomes a socio-economic indicator, a motorcycle a status symbol and very few private cars. This was the same in Africa.

The ride today followed the river on highway 25 until Malebennur. Then we took a secondary road that had more potholes than asphalt in many places, but it did cut off kilometers and was quieter. Along with the beeps, now lots of people wave or shout "hi hi". When we stop there is curiosity more about the bikes, also being asked the question "What country from?"

Today we see snapshots of people's daily life. This part of the country is covered with rice fields interspersed are groves of coconut trees with corn planted under the trees. Rice fields are at various stages of being prepared, sections with small rice plants ready for transplanting, workers in the field planting the baby plants, many fields dry after harvesting, and the harvested rice with chafe being separated. Cows are bedded down in front of the houses. Women doing laundry in the river or irrigation ditches. Watermelon and pineapple are plentiful in the roadside shops.

Entering Davangere is another dusty affair. We locate the area where there are several hotel lodging. We stop at the first one we see, Patrick checks it out and for 750 rupees (12USD), we check into Shanker Comforts. There is a garage with security for the bikes, and an elevator to get our gear up to the room. Next door is the Panchami Restaurant and we go for a thali for lunch, and later a lighter dinner. Across the street is a "members only" market, but the staff in the hotel tells us we can shop there. We go shop and find corn flakes and museli and check out without difficulty. As we are leaving the store, we both get a mango ice cream cone.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Bright green patches where the rice plant seedlings are grown.
Heart 0 Comment 0
People gather to check our bikes while we have a cup of tea.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Getting the rice paddies ready for planting the new rice plants.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Guy fixing the dams between the paddies.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Separating the rice from the chafe.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Portrait #1
Heart 0 Comment 0
Women washing clothes at an irrigation ditch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patrick thinks we took a break too close to a boys school
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are seeing a few more bicycles
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 87 km (54 miles)
Total: 11,770 km (7,309 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0