To Shimoga: "Take it easy" - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

January 19, 2016

To Shimoga: "Take it easy"

"Take it easy", one woman shouts to us as we cycle away after taking pictures of the group of women. "She said take it easy," Patrick says. Unbelievable, but true. We woke today with the news that Glenn Frey of the Eagles had passed away, "Take it easy" was one of their earliest hits.

We stopped seeing coffee plants after leaving town until we started climbing again. The first 20kms or so were still rolling and we crossed a large river valley with rice fields and sugar cane. The air was overcast and cloudy with smoke from burning sugar cane. When we reached Chickmagalura we took a break at a bakery for an egg puff. Then we start the first of three climbs for today and again see coffee plants. Rachel buys a flower garland being sold at the roadside, and drapes it across her handlebar. Flower offerings in Hindu are "manifestations of one's spirituality and worldly ambitions in life." Different types of flowers are offered to the different deities. We like to support the locals trying to sell their wares.

After the downhill of the second climb, we stop at Coffee and Pepper Cafe. We'd seen signs every kilometer for 20kms, so we were happy that it was open and we were greeted by the owner taking our picture. Other customers talk with us and recommend the Jewel Rock Hotel in Shimoga. Then we enjoyed a great cappuccino and Spanish omelet before tackling the third climb. At the top of the hill before the descent, briefly we hear frogs croaking all through the forest near by a pond.

The downhill dropped us down to another agricultural area with rice fields, coconut trees, corn, sugar cane and onions. We see flying overhead bats or "flying dogs" and pass by a tree full of them. Some of the rice fields are being planted.

On the outskirts of Tarekeri, we stop again for a puff and water. We have another 40kms to go. We plug along and reach our destination for today, the recommended hotel that has a bar and restaurant. At the end of a long day, having a specific destination makes getting through busy city traffic so nice.

Leaving Belur early morning, it is raining a little.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Woman selling flower strings along the roadside.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Break for a puff.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not a good day for these chickens.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Watch out for monkeys.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the big downhill out of the mountains.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Portrait #1.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Taking a "short cut" through Tarikere.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Roadside stall selling fresh pineapple juice.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sugarcane on its way to the factory.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 122 km (76 miles)
Total: 11,683 km (7,255 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0