Week 27: To Chitimba: hot, hot, hot and Baobab Trees - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

September 30, 2015

Week 27: To Chitimba: hot, hot, hot and Baobab Trees

"Look a Baobab tree!", "Another Baobab, look, it's beautiful", "Oh look, a baby Baobab". We both point out the trees as we see them. Rachel's favorite book is "The Little Prince" where she first heard about Baobab's and 21 years ago was excited to see her first Baobab.

Our destination today is the Hakuna Matata Camp that has been recommended by other cyclists. This camp is next to the where we stayed in 1994. At that time, we hiked up to Livingstonia and took an overnight tour of the Nyika Plateau. Patrick was still recovering from Malaria and we hitched a ride on an empty overland truck to Dar es Salaam then the ferry to Zanzibar. So this will be a stretch completing cycling in Malawi.

We are up at first light even though it's an earlier time from Tanzania. As we ride through town, we stop again at the ATM since it will be a day or two before we are in a larger town again. The road is relatively flat with two climbs made slower going because of the heat and the wind. We are relieved to find the children less likely to call out Muzungu, or ask for something, or run along beside us or behind us. The same with the many people on bikes, there is no riding along the side of us staring. Occasionally, a bike rider doesn't like being passed by us and will catch up and pass us, but not aggressive like in Tanzania.

We meet two people walking with backpacks. A muzungu, Michelle Rowe with a Malawi companion are walking the length of Malawi, staying with village chiefs along the way, and raising awareness of the her non-profit that supports education, "Inspire Malawi". http://www.inspiremalawi.com/

In the past, we knew when we were approaching a town due to the increase in people walking or riding bikes...in Europe, a church steeple indicates a village...here in Malawi, it's cell towers. Throughout the day we get beautiful views of the lake. We reach the turnoff for the camp and have one final slog...pushing the bikes down the lane in the fine sand. The camp is just on the edge of the lake, offers cold drinks and ice water, great showers and awesome meals.

Tomorrow we will stay another day.

We are back in the land of the Baobab Trees! Anyone having read "The Little Prince" knows of the Baobab.
Heart 1 Comment 0
When Patrick stopped to take a picture of a baobab tree, these folks asked him to take their picture.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had been getting thumbs up from people all day, so when we saw this guy coming carrying a load we gave him a thumbs up.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Baobab tree, 1994
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 93 km (58 miles)
Total: 7,244 km (4,499 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0