To Karonga: down to Lake Malawi - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

September 29, 2015

To Karonga: down to Lake Malawi

"That was the most painless border crossing we've had for awhile," Patrick says. Today was the first time we had to show our yellow fever certificates and ...there was no visa fee. We understand that changes in two days and have heard a visa would cost anywhere from $35 to $75 dollars.

While it's never all downhill, the first 25kms today is pretty close. There were just a few bumps to remind us we are on pushbikes not motor bikes and need to pedal. The landscape changes from the lush foothills back to drier hillsides. The road to the border becomes long rolling hills...the kind where you get a boost up the next hill from the speed of a downhill.

The border crossing went quickly and the next 45kms to Karonga was relatively flat though the wind was not our friend with a slight headwind, sometimes crosswind. And we had done all those toast's "to the wind"!

We had changed Tanzanian shillings to Malawi kwacha before reaching the border. Once settled into our hotel room, Patrick rides back into town to find an ATM so we will have plenty for the next few days. We plan on taking a rest day after tomorrow at a camp along lake Malawi.

Nice scenery on the downhill to Lake Malawi.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tea plantations again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
As we descend lower, the tea plantations disappear, replaced once again by dry scrub land.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
About 5km before the border this guy approaches us to change money. The money changers at the border have a bad reputation, a plus this guy is wearing a tie.... So we exchange the last of our Tanzanian Shillings for Malawi Kwacha.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Entering Malawi.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chrystelle is a French woman who has been traveling around southern Africa for a couple of years.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kids playing the traditional African game of Mancala.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
1994 border crossing from Zambia into Malawi
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 93 km (58 miles)
Total: 7,151 km (4,441 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0