to Yenangyaung: Not an easy short day  - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

December 24, 2016

to Yenangyaung: Not an easy short day 

"That's the first hill, then it's to a half rest day" Patrick says. The road surface has improved dramatically, although the 20km it took to gain 150 meters, took only 3km to lose.

We start the day thinking it will be quick and easy with a lot of downhill and 2 climbs. Not so. After the first descent, we start climbing again and to a little more of the same elevation we just lost. Then we think slow long downhill. Not so. The road is a roller coaster with the downhill not helping much with the uphill. A few short humps were steep.

Just when we are almost to the end of the day, it's even before noon, Rachel has a rear flat tire. Finding shade, Patrick quickly changes the innertube as a policeman watches. We see a lot of police today, not sure for what reason.

Another couple of km and we are at the Country Hotel! Whew, made it, not an easy day today. Patrick goes to reception and returns with news they are full, but they give a name of another hotel a few km away. The girl at the reception writes the name on a piece of paper.

We continue on, Patrick asks a couple of times showing the paper with the name of the motel. A motorcycle guy says to follow him, though we couldn't keep up. After 4 more km, the guy is waiting for us in the parking of the motel.

We check into the Win Thiri Motel, 40,000 kyat, very friendly staff, new building with nice big room, and restaurant. We have pork fried noodles and sweet & sour chicken delivered to our room, along with two Myanmar beers.

So, the half rest day begins. Tomorrow to Mt. Popa and a bit of a climb to get there.

Women selling clay water jugs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Poster near the Magway airforce base.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Two baby monks and one nun. They are collecting food at roadside restaurants.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The oldest baby monk looks a bit suspicious, but they warm up to us when we make a donation to their cause.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Landscape today. Since this is Burma there is always a pagoda to be seen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rachel has a flat rear tire with only a couple of kilometers to go. Since pumping it back up to pressure is the hardest part it makes sense to replace the tube now instead of pumping and trying to get to the hotel first.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our second hotel. Actually a very nice place and a couple of kilometers closer to our destination tomorrow.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our 40,000kyat (US$30). Very expensive for SE Asia, but good value in Burma. Check out the fancy towels and slippers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Temple and Irrawady River seen from our hotel roof.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sunset seen from our hotel roof.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 55 km (34 miles)
Total: 26,630 km (16,537 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0