to Magway: horse drawn carriages and hay stacks - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

December 23, 2016

to Magway: horse drawn carriages and hay stacks

"Can you find a smoother line to ride, my butt hurts" Patrick says. "I just did back there" Rachel answers. The road continues to be rough and our bodies hurt, except sometimes there is a black tar line that smooths the road out. The road got better after we passed the junction with the short cut road from Auglan. We've seen several blogs from cyclists who cycled the 135km from Auglan to Magway in one day. We elected to take the longer route via Taungdwingyi, but were able to break the ride up.

The sun was rising as we left town. Minivans are being loaded with passengers along with figuring out where to put all the luggage, baby pigs are under a basket probably going to market, fires are burning and women are making food for the day. We see many horse drawn carriages coming into town. People are in the fields working. Fields have been plowed and there are islands of haystacks and palm trees.

We stopped a couple of times for cold drinks. We have plenty of snack foods with us. For the first time Patrick was over charged for a coke, when he complained the lady did reduce the price.

As we get close to Magway, just as we are about to cross the railroad tracks there is a huge noise overhead. Patrick says there is an Air Force base nearby and he thinks it was Mig 29 taking off. On our way into town we see a bakery and mini-mart and stop for more goodies for tomorrow. Patrick navigates us to the Rolex Hotel. The room is basic, there is no hot water for the shower, the bathroom is dirty and no wifi. 30,000 kyat is way overpriced for this, but it is the cheapest option in town.

After cleaning up, we walk to the Monaliza Restaurant along the river. The food was excellent! A sweet and sour chicken dish, a chicken curry (spicy) and rice, and draft Myanmar beer.

Railroad tracks near Taungdwingyi
Heart 0 Comment 0
We see many horse drawn carriages on their way to town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oxcart delivering some piece of machinery to the field.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road is beautifully shaded by huge old trees.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another horse drawn carriage.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Selecting bamboo poles for a project.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pottery for sale along the side of the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Three guys are using ox-teams to pull dirt towards the rivers edge. It seems like they are enlarging the plot and are getting ready to plant something.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sign at a junction. We need our GPS to decide which road to take.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another railroad crossing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Haystack and palm trees in the fields.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Large bridge crossing the Irrawady at Magway.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 83 km (52 miles)
Total: 26,713 km (16,589 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0