to Willow Creek camp: Taking the longer but easier route to Kazakhstan - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

August 23, 2016

to Willow Creek camp: Taking the longer but easier route to Kazakhstan

From Karakol there are a couple of different route options towards the Kazakhstan border crossing. The most interesting one seems to be the most direct and shortest route. This road is also pretty bad and the profile shows a steep climb. We decide to take the easier route, which means to follow the main road towards Bishkek for another 33km, and then turn east at Tup towards the border.

The first bit is not much fun, same busy traffic, bumpy road surface and narrow. Add to that a rainstorm today. We are just a few kilometers from town when the rain hits, though doesn’t last long. After the turn, though things improve a lot with a better road surface and less traffic. Traffic reduces even further after each village we pass. The valley is mostly farmland with small villages and farms clustered along the river down in the valley.

After about 40km on this road the valley narrows and the road gets closer to the river. There is one last village on the right that the road doesn’t go through, the last chance for supplies for a while. Then the asphalt ends. We start looking for a campsite and find a nice one under some willow trees right next to the river. We have only just set up camp when we hear rumbling and watch dark clouds come over the ridge. A half hour later a huge thunderstorm with almost constant rumbling moves over with heavy rain and hail. We use a break in the action to move our tent to slightly higher ground and gather cheese, crackers and salami for dinner.

Then the next storm moves in. It rains pretty much the whole evening. There is some excitement when what sounds like a dozen horse riders barrel down the hill and into the river right next to our tent. It sounds like they are chasing something, but by the time we stick our heads outside the action has moved on.

Quite a few monuments line the road between Karakol and Tup. We have no idea what this one is all about.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We think this is the hero that separated Kyrgyzstan from the Chinese a long time ago.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another monument.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Finally, after the turn at Tup: good asphalt and little traffic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kids.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Who needs a stroller when dad has a horse?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Then the valley narrows and the asphalt ends. The road is still okay though and we climb alongside a river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mobile bee hives.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our campsite for the night. Shortly after this the deluge starts.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 79 km (49 miles)
Total: 20,898 km (12,978 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0