to Tsootsha: onto the Kalahari highway - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

November 13, 2015

to Tsootsha: onto the Kalahari highway

"Should we go on?" Patrick asks. We are camped in a nice place and have had three long days of cycling, usually would be time to take a rest day. We decide to keep going.

Nothing much changes from previous days cycling across Botswana.

We are up early to beat the heat of the day. Besides the road traffic, we see only one person riding a horse, otherwise only landscape. The temperature rises, there is very little shade, the day is a struggle and....almost to the destination.....10 kms away....Rachel has a flat tire.

We find a tree for shade, Rachel needs a rest while Patrick changes the tube. By the time we are to start off again, the tire is flat again. Patrick puts on a new back tire leaving the old tire hanging in a tree.

After 8300 kms without a flat, all across Botswana Rachel has had one or two flats per day, Patrick one flat. Long straight flat stretches of road, lots of thorny trees and road debris makes Botswana the "Land of the flats".

Riding south-west while the sun rises.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Small rest areas sometimes provide some shade for a quick lunch stop.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We turn west off the main road and join the Kalahari Highway towards Namibia.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another stop for food and water. No shade here through.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Arrived at the Jungle Light restcamp in Tsootsha. The South African lady that runs the place receives us with cold water, coke and a very nice dinner later in the evening.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 117 km (73 miles)
Total: 9,566 km (5,940 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0