to Rocky Springs: wet, hot, humid - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

July 29, 2017

to Rocky Springs: wet, hot, humid

Patrick wakes first by the sound of the tic-tic-ticking of rain on the leaves. Rain is coming. This must be the cold storm front that we heard about at Perry’s. We both get out of the tent. Rachel goes to cover the bike seats and get the stuff on the table under cover. Patrick gets the still wet laundry off the line and zips-up the rainfly. A huge thunderstorm passes over us and the rain continues. We finally pack up when the rain lightens up. Rain found its way under the ground cloth so the bottom of the inner tent is wet, but we are able to pack up most things dry. When we set off, all we hope for is a break in the weather so that we can dry the tent.

Only a couple of kilometers down the Trace is our first “historic” stop at Locust Grove Stand. Stands were places along the Natchez Trace that provided lodging and food. Originally, along the 500 miles of the trace there were 50 stands. There are only a few left now. Because of our late start we arrive here at about 1100am. The power has gone out and the park office is dark. The Ranger though looked at her phone for us to find that the forecast called for clearing this afternoon. We take the walk up to the old stand, and we see a live armadillo foraging in the grass. This was great to see, as we’ve only seen armadillo’s as roadkill.

The rain eases a bit, but for most of the morning we have rain. When we decide to stop for a sandwich it clears just long enough for us to spread out the groundsheet, inner tent and rainfly and get them dry enough to be usable in a pinch. Our goal for today is Rocky Springs Campground. When we get there we are sorely disappointed. One of the restrooms and what might be the septic system are under renovation and the contractor, who is nowhere to be seen, has shut off all water and locked all three restroom buildings. There is no water, except for a muddy stream that runs through the campground. A troop of camping boy scouts saves us; they give us enough drinking water for the night and our ride tomorrow. Patrick doesn’t understand what the park service was thinking, leaving a large campground like this without water or sanitation, or notification at the Park Office.

We pitch our tent and find enough shade for us, while drying the rest of our gear in the sun. It is still very humid, but the temperature is not quite as high as last night. We had pre-cooked our hamburger last night and have a taco salad for dinner. After that it is hurrying into the tent because the midges are awful.

A rainy morning on the Natchez Trace.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stop at the Locust Grove Stand.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Locust Grove Stand, one of only two stands remaining along the Trace.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A live armadillo, sadly most of these we see are road kill.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Period furniture in the Locust Grove Stand.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Still riding in the rain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The sunken trace, a section of the Natchez Trace that is "sunken" because of all the traffic on it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The sunken trace.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our campsite at Rocky Springs.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 79 km (49 miles)
Total: 36,156 km (22,453 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0