to Natchez State Park: Onto the Natchez Trace Parkway - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

July 28, 2017

to Natchez State Park: Onto the Natchez Trace Parkway

“I think the trace will be a good training for judging miles” Rachel says after 5 miles on the trace. We can judge the distance in kilometers, now in miles that just seem to go by more slowly.

We are up early and miss seeing our hosts, so we leave a note thanking them for their great Southern Hospitality. The first hill away from the ranch is steep, but we quickly go the mile back to the paved road. We go right this time, avoiding the bridge that is out, to Tower Road. This is a pea gravel road and goes through the National Forrest, to West Homochitto road until eventually we are back on the main road headed North.

We had hoped for a second breakfast, but the towns listed on the map have only churches. Churches have a yellow road sign announcing one is coming up. We had stopped to take a photo when a car also stopped and then a truck pulls up. The truck driver was a “road angel” giving us a large cold Gatorade drink. The car driver, Brent, is a cyclist and knows Natchez. He shares some advice about asking to camp at the Natchez “Under the Hill bar”. Our plan is to head onto the Trace for a bit today though.

Our first goal in reaching Natchez is to go to the National Historic Park, one of the few still complete plantations, but not really to see the site, but for Rachel to get a Lifetime Senior Pass to parks before the price increases August 1 from $10 to $80. From here, we cycle to Walmart for shopping. There is not much along the Trace, so we need to have enough supplies for a couple of days between towns.

The Trace is well marked, so easy navigation from the store and just like that we are on the Natchez Trace. The road is beautiful, and light traffic with road signs “bikes may use full lane” After mile 10, we go off the Trace for about 5 miles to Natchez State Park, that advertises “always in season.” The office is another 2.3 miles from the entrance. We pass a primitive campsite and continue on when there is no water. We stop at Campground A, not reaching the Campground B and office by the lake. We have the place almost to ourselves. There are great air conditioned building with showers and toilets.

The weather is uncertain, clouds have been building and we are not sure if rain is in the forecast. We have not had internet the past two days to check, so Patrick pitches the tent with the rainfly. Hope that it’s not too hot and muggy to sleep. We have a great map of the Trace that outlines the places of interest. So we will probably be stopping frequently to learn a little history of the Natchez Trace.

Leaving Brushy Creek Ranch is on a mile long dirt driveway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Because of the road construction we do not take East Homichitto Road, but instead zigzag our way on Tower Road to West Homochitto Road. It's all dirt.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding through beautiful Homochitto National Forest.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Abandoned gas station.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We leave the Homochitto Forest somewhere near Natchez.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A "road angel" stops to give us a cold Gatorade while we are talking with a local guy who is also a cyclist.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Melrose plantation house. A beautiful Greek revival house. The southerners sure like those Dorian columns.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rachel has her lifetime National Parks pass. She will not be paying any more entry fees! Neither will Patrick if he is in a smog belching vehicle, on a bike though he will still incur the fee. Common sense is not so common sometimes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Melrose plantation in Natchez. A beautiful place. We wonder if black people also visit plantations to be awed by the masters house, or for different reasons.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Onto the Natchez Trace.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We enter the Natchez Trace Parkway. Mile zero.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Equal rights for cyclists!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful Natchez Trace Parkway. The speed limit is 50, but cyclists have the right to use the whole lane, and traffic is advised to pass in the other lane.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Big trees along the Natchez Trace Parkway,
Heart 0 Comment 0
Abandoned store just before our campground. We would have bought some, but they went out of busines a couple of decades ago it seems.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have arrived at Natchez State Park.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 95 km (59 miles)
Total: 36,077 km (22,404 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0