to Rocky Canyon Camp: skirting storms - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

September 25, 2016

to Rocky Canyon Camp: skirting storms

We took a restday yesterday. For some reason though the power was shut off in the whole town from eight am to six pm, so we did not quite get to make use of the nice Wi-Fi in the hotel. In the evening though we are able to get caught up on CGOAB.

We make several outings into the town, but find the container bazaar closed on Saturday and the large supermarket next to our hotel also closed, probably due to it being in a basement without power. We are able to find all supplies we need in several smaller shops: Potato chips from Germany, fruit cocktail from the Philippines, eggs we have the restaurant boil for us so we don't use our stove in the parking lot), cakes, salami and bread. A storm has moved in, also making it a good day for a rest day, and with the power out and the elevator not working, not having to carry our gear down five flights of stairs.

When we leave our plush hotel it is cold, but the sky is blue and the sun is trying to warm us up. We start with seven kilometers of asphalt, then we turn and the fun starts. We are carrying enough food for four or five days and just shy of twenty liters of water, expecting to replace that at one of the two river crossings we see on the map.

Per the elevation graph we should start with a long downhill, but on the bumpy road we don’t really notice it. Rachel is almost hit by a rolling cow patty that had fallen off a truck loaded for market. The road is firm enough though so we can ride the whole day, just a lot slower than what we got used to the last couple of days on that nice asphalt road.

The wind blows strong from the northwest and we watch storm after storm build on the mountains to our west and then track just behind us. As we move north it seems so do the storm tracks and some get pretty close. But it stays dry, cold and very windy. Even though the wind is not in our faces it does beat us up and by about 4 pm we are looking to get some shelter. We find a nice little side canyon where there is a flat spot on a gravel beach and good shelter from the wind. We pitch camp, cook food and get in the sleeping bags to stay warm.

Wood for sale in Altai. The good lumber is stored in the tanks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice architecture........
Heart 0 Comment 0
The elevator works again. All our gear going down.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As seen on the way out of Altai.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A stupa on the way out of Altai.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Storms are building over the mountains to our west.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The clouds seem to touch the earth.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Storm and a herd of sheep. As the storm moves on we see snow on the hillsides.
Heart 0 Comment 0
All day the storms track just behind us. We better keep moving.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another storm.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Herd of horses and a storm.
Heart 0 Comment 0
To our north the skies are much clearer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Long road to Uliastai.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Long road to Uliastai.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mongolian four-lane highway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rachel trying to outrun two storms.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We find the people very friendly. Most stop for a chat even though we do not speak a common language.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Awesome Mongolia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lonely gers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunchbreak where we can lean our bikes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another guy stopping for a chat. Patrick think he wants to carry some of our gear.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Entrance to our little canyon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our spot for the night. The rocks shelter us from the wind but also put us in the shade early.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 57 km (35 miles)
Total: 22,926 km (14,237 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0