To Ntungamo: road construction - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

August 28, 2015

To Ntungamo: road construction

"If you take my picture and I give you my email, will you send the picture to me?" We've stopped for a rest and he comes up to talk with us. He wants to have "a friend" from America. At the end of the day, Patrick sends the picture to him but later the email is returned as undeliverable.

The day started with a nice surprise, breakfast was included with our hotel stay. Who can resist having a good cup of coffee and Spanish omelet? So even though we'd eaten our cornflakes, banana and milk, we have a second breakfast.

As we head out of town, Rachel says "Where's the asphalt"? With the thunderstorm last night, if this road isn't sealed we could be in for a muddy ride. But eventually we get asphalt, and then road construction, then a smooth asphalt, then asphalt with potholes, and again road construction. The road construction reminds us of the techniques of road construction in China. And the road snakes through the valleys with low grades rather than up and over the hills, another way China builds roads.

Gone are the tea plantations and any indication of large scale business, with the exception of seeing greenhouses that looked like the dutch greenhouses growing flowers at Lake Nakuru, Kenya. There are areas being cleared and burned and the distant hills only have patches of forest left.

We arrive early to Ntungamo and look for accommodations. Another dusty town that is strung out with small shops on both sides of the main road and a side road going through to the town center is the same as so many other towns. The hotel has a bar/restaurant, of sorts. The guy is asleep behind the bar when Rachel goes to order dinner. We order curry chicken and curry vegetables with rice yet we get what it is in the kitchen ....not always the same in Uganda.

Deforestation in progress.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This man gives us his email address so we can send him the picture. We try but are unsuccessful, the email is returned.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our road is under construction, most of it perfectly smooth new asphalt, but some rough sections. Judging by the construction methods this is a Chinese operation.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ordering yet another rolex.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the larger brick kiln-stacks we've seen.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 56 km (35 miles)
Total: 6,311 km (3,919 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0