To Kabale: three big climbs - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

August 29, 2015

To Kabale: three big climbs

"Did that boda driver cut you off?" Patrick asks as he cycles up to Rachel who is picking herself and the bike up off the ground. "Yes, pulled in front of me, then immediately stopped a foot in front of my front wheel." No damage to the bike, only a bruised shin.

Bad enough that the boda driver caused a crash, but did it have to happen while pushing uphill? We were going through a town almost at the top of the first climb. At the top was a new resort being built that offered "fresh coffee and fast". Since we had been seeing signs for this resort first 10 kms away, and then 3kms to the top of the first climb, we had to stop. The coffee was good, but not fast, service takes awhile in Africa.

At 65kms we reach the highest point for today's ride. Then a great 6km downhill with a small bump where we had to pedal, and then the downhill continues to the town, only slowing down for the speedbumps. Every town has speedbumps. First a series of four bumps on the outskirts of town and then they become bigger and easier to get over on a bike in the middle part of town.

The road into Kabale is torn up and Patrick navigates through side streets to find the area where there are two good options for accommodation. At one point, the chaos of motorcycles, bicycles, pedestrians includes a watertruck spraying down the dust. We stay at a backpackers place, arrange a tour by canoe of Bunyonyi Lake for tomorrow, and have a hamburger for dinner. Yes, a hamburger with a homemade bun!

There is a big party going on in the next street with loud music, it's Saturday night, and time to bring out the earplugs for sleep.

We witness another sunrise while already on the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Break for chapatis with nutella.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Farmers bringing their fresh milk to collection points.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It seems that women do most of the work here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Local cyclist truck-surfing up the hill
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice scenery near Kabale
Heart 0 Comment 0
Arrived at the Kabale Backpackers Hostel
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 79 km (49 miles)
Total: 6,390 km (3,968 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0