To Kuminda Farm: short day to get going again - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

November 2, 2015

To Kuminda Farm: short day to get going again

"The landscape doesn't change much. No mountains on the horizon" Rachel says. "It's all bush. The big factor will be the wind" Patrick replies.

Yesterday afternoon, Shaun drove us about 15kms out of Francistown and 7kms off the main road to Mike's Woodland Stopover. Mike is a friend of Shaun's and this works out better to be out of Francistown. Woodland's is a beautiful spot and we cooled off from the heat of the afternoon sitting in the pool. We ordered two of "Mike's Meals" of Beef Lasagna for dinner. Excellent meals!

Today is a short day to make the distance tomorrow to Nata Lodge reasonable. The wide shoulder is gone, though the traffic is light, truck drivers cautious in passing us. Patrick had located Kuminda Farms from tracks4Africa. He had been emailing with the owner, Lucy, and given directions. "After village of Mathangwane, A3 road to Nata, on the right is "Duma Butchery back to normal and Bar". 3kms past the butchery there is a sign for Marobela turnoff. About 100 meters from the turnoff are big signs on the left, a brown cardboard sign says Chickens for Sale. There is a dirt road swerving to the left. Go for 2.3kms and you will see the Kuminda Farm sign. Dafton will meet you."

We stopped in Mathangwane for a cold drink and eat the hard boiled eggs we'd fixed at Shaun's. We were expected to be at the Farm between 1000-1100, we arrived at 0900. The 2.3kms off the main road was sandy and difficult to ride in sections. Dafton came out to the gate and showed us around where we can camp. This is a beautiful spot, with kitchen, showers and flush toilets. The farm hosts groups of students from Australia, USA, and UK along with WorldChallenge groups for education and cultural exchange.

We settle into one of the shelters that is used for meetings, as rain is threatening. No one else is around so we make ourselves at home. The evening meal provided was excellent! Rice, chicken, greens, squash and a sauce made with kuminda farms chilies.... Very spicy!

Rain passed by so we pitched the tent without the rainfly so we could see the stars.

Shaun, Tain and Bailey were our hosts in Francistown.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yard decoration at Mike's Woodlands stop-over
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have a nice "camp cabin".
Heart 0 Comment 0
About 7km of dirt gets us back to the main road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A rest stop, time for some food and a cold drink.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We found the Kuminda Farm as a potential camping spot on "tracks4africa". It is about 2.3 km off the main road, but not signposted.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Found it!
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is hot!
Heart 1 Comment 0
We install ourselves under a nice grass roof to seek shelter from the sun.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patrick discovers his front tire went flat after arriving. Probably a thorn on the sand road in here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The gardens at Kuminida Farm are beautiful landscaped with cactus and other desert plants. Dafton, the caretaker at the camprground gives me a tour of the property and tells me about the pythons living in the rocks......
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dafton and Monica take very good care of us at Kuninda Farm.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the evening we are fed a beautiful african dinner. Monica is a great cook.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 44 km (27 miles)
Total: 8,667 km (5,382 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0