To Francistown: day from hell - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

October 31, 2015

To Francistown: day from hell

"This is the one day that we don't have money to catch a ride,and internet or a downloaded map of Francistown" Patrick says to Rachel as she is sick by the side of the road. Today was supposed to be an easy quick ride to Francistown. We expected to be to town by noon.

For Rachel, the nausea that started yesterday continued. Unable to eat and drink to stay hydrated, then the day spiralled downward making the last 15kms into town very torturous. And it was HOT!

It didn't help that the border crossing was one of the longest ever! Took 45 minutes to get the Zimbabwe exit stamp. We arrived at 6am when the border opened and already there was a line of buses and cars. A very slow procedure where the people on the buses lined up in different parts of the parking lot and then were lead into the immigration office as a group. Patrick joins a line while Rachel watches the bikes. He is able to get both passports stamped.

Then 45 minutes for the entry into Botswana. Another long line of groups of people from buses. Very professional in checking passports and questions asked, just very very slow. Finally we are in Botswana, only after dipping our shoes and rolling our bike tires through a solution to prevent the spread of a cattle disease.

We have a tailwind to Tshesebe. There is a decent looking guesthouse, we consider stopping since Rachel still has an upset stomach. We are wanting to get to Francistown to watch the World Rugby Final. In retrospect, we probably should have stopped. There was nothing, really nothing after Tshesebe. It's hot! Our water is hot, so though helping to stay hydrated, does not quench the thirst.

Then Rachel has a flat tire. After going 8300 kms without a flat, this is the second one in the past week.

About 10kms past Tshesebe Rachel says she has to get off the bike, leans it against Patrick bike and sits down by the side of the road. Then waves of vomiting. We continue on slowly.

Only until 20kms from Francistown does riding become difficult. In other circumstances we would have tried to get a ride, but crossing the border there were no money changers so we are without funds (except for 50 Pula, equivalent to 5usd we got for change in Plumtree). We are expected to contact Shaun and Tain where we are staying by noon and we are not going to make it. Until we can get a new sim card for Botswana, we have no means of communication.

Finally we get 5kms from town and a Total Gas Station. Patrick has enough to buy us a very cold gatoraid drink and to pay someone to make a phone call to Shaun and Tain.

Tain rescues us (Rachel) by coming to pick us up.

Early on the road again. The border crossing opens at 6:00.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Last pedal strokes in Zimbabwe.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stop to take the border picture at the same time a car of 5 guys are doing the same. They want us in their picture and one joins us in ours.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Zimbabwe-Botswana border
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have to step our shoes in a tray of liquid, then ride the bikes through a trough of the same. Something to do with cattle disease control.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rachel has a second flat tire!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Road from border to Francistown Botswana
Heart 0 Comment 0
Shaun and Tain take us to their golf club for a braai and watching the World Finals Rugby game between Australia and New Zealand. New Zealand won even as the crowd shifted sides rooting for both teams
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 85 km (53 miles)
Total: 8,623 km (5,355 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0