to Harnai: beach fish market - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

February 13, 2016

to Harnai: beach fish market

The day started with a wake up call by the nearby temple with Hindi music. We arrived in Harnai with the noontime Muslim call to prayer.

After a couple big climbs, we reach the Dhopave-Dabhol ferry just as it's about to sail. On the other side, we have a potato vada at a food stall near an old mosque. We are developing a pattern...climb a hill, reach the ferry just in time, eat.

The next stretch of road we have three shorter steeper hills that we can follow our progress by the cell towers. After the third hill, we stop for another vada. Then the quiet countryside ends as we enter Dapoli. Once through that town we have a wonderful 6kms descent.

We reach the outskirts of Harnai and check out the Lotus Beach Resort that other cyclists have stayed. The price is a bit pricey at 4000rps. We go on to Sea Princess, a bit better at 2500rps, and we continue on in to town. We find the Ocean Palace for 1000rps, a decent clean room with a view of the ocean and beach. A cold shower and later there was a problem with no water, but the staff worked until again water was restored.

Later in the afternoon, we notice a lot of people on the beach. Kids were playing cricket on one end, a big commotion on the other. We walk out and see that it's one of the biggest fish markets in the area. Amazing colors and the sound of auctioning fish to buyers.

But sadly, no sea food being prepared on the beach to eat.

Ferry crossing. We timed it perfect, arriving just before it leaves.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Abandoned mosque.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We meet an Indian cyclist on his way from Mumbai to Goa.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Roadside stall making "vada", we calling it a McVada, great breakfast food.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from our hotel room in Harnai.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fishmarket in Harai. A huge fleet of fishing boats is anchored off shore, small boats are bringing in last nights catch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sunset at Harnai Beach. The fishing fleet is anchored off shore, ready to go fishing again tonight.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kids on the beach.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 12,755 km (7,921 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0