to Harihareshwar: really really rough roads - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

February 14, 2016

to Harihareshwar: really really rough roads

Today was painfully slow going. Painful because of the road surface, worse than riding on cobblestones. Slow going because of the hills and the road surface making going downhill as slow as uphill. "I feel beat up." Patrick says. "I was so happy to see the (Savitri) river. I thought that meant we were almost to the ferry" Rachel adds after the climb. But still took us awhile to descend.

We left Harnai along the coastal road, then through alleyways of a village to connect to the bridge on MSH 4. Pretty soon we start the first 150meters climb toward Kelshi.

At Kelshi, we were told by an Indian cyclist to get a fishing boat to take us across the river. Huge communication barrier made this difficult, so we followed the river upstream on a gray road about 9 kms until we could cross the river then the second climb. We had picked up some very delicious potato and pea samosas in Kelshi. There wasn't much else along the road until the bridge across the river, we stopped for a cold sprite.

Then the second 150 meter climb begins until we are back on a "yellow" road.The ferry is on the opposite side of the river when we reach the dock. Loading the ferry was quite a process to watch. The cars are backed on, motorcycles park where they want until another car is loaded and they are moved around. The ferry boat captain honks the horn but there are still pedestrian stragglers taking their time to walk onboard. Then chaos on the other side with the rush to disembark.

We have a bit of a headwind the last few kms into town. While checking out a few places, two guys ask to take their picture with us. They mention a place to stay, the Harihareshwar Beach Resort. We get a beach cottage for 1500rps, very good value. Lunch in the restaurant was a basic fish thali.

We have two more days along the coast and then from Mumbai we go inland.

Two bridges and one ferry are on our route today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fishing boats beached for repair works
Heart 0 Comment 0
Guys fishing with a throw net
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding through Kelshi. We hoped for a harbor / fishing boat to take us across the river, but after asking several locals we decide to head for the bridge further upstream.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch break.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Samosas for lunch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Arrived at Harihareshwar Beach resort. Nice bungalows close to the beach for RP1500.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The cleaning ladies are amazed by Rachel's bike riding.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 12,805 km (7,952 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0