to Farmington: on the Trans America trail - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

August 15, 2017

to Farmington: on the Trans America trail

The little shack has an AC unit so we can keep it cool and dry. Outside though the high humidity has created a thick blanket of fog overnight. Not the best day for low visibility since we have to cross the narrow Mississippi bridge.

We pack-up, heat some water for oatmeal and coffee and close the door behind us. Then back through Chester and downhill to the river bridge. The bridge is narrow, but again traffic treats us right and only passes when they can use the other lane, even though there's a sign "no passing".

We enter Missouri and take photos at the welcome sign. We also note the US76 bicycle route signs. Missouri has signposted the Bikecentennial (now Adventure Cycling) trans-america route with nice signage. Today we follow the route all the way to Farmington.

Across the Mississippi we first stay on the flat floodplain for a little, but then the climbing starts. All the way to our destination is an endless procession of hills, some too steep to ride so we push. Just outside of St. Mary is a gas station with a convenience store: "Our Place". The only one on our route today. The people are very friendly and even have a guestbook for cyclists to sign.

Another twenty five or so kilometers further is a craft brewery with a restaurant. It is only open Thursday through the weekend for food and drinks, but the door is open and we can use the restrooms to fill up our water bottles.

On the outskirts of Farmington we stop for a cold drink at a gas station. Today was hard, the hills were definitely the steepest we've had so far in the US. We were told Farmington has a nice hostel for cyclists: Al's place, but we are staying with a Warmshowers host. We surprise the babysitter, but everything gets cleared-up with a text to Nathanael. He comes home shortly and we are welcomed into the house and meet his daughter, twin boys and his wife.

Later in the evening a slough of friends and colleagues stops by for a great impromptu barbecue. There is good beer, food and conversation. We have missed get-togethers like this with friends and neighbors.

Entering Missouri on a foggy morning. We are west of the Mississippi!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cornfields with silos on the horizon on a foggy morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The US76 bike route signs lead us all the way to Farmington today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rolling hills and farms.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back into the Mississippi River valley.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Farmhouse in the hills.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Every kind of "light" beer you ever wanted for sale at this friendly store.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another turn following the signs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old house amidst fields and trees.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One hill after the other.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Up she goes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
When we reach a high-point we get views over the countryside.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 77 km (48 miles)
Total: 37,297 km (23,161 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0