Week 125: to Meramec State Park: steep hills on route 185 - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

August 16, 2017

Week 125: to Meramec State Park: steep hills on route 185

"Thank you, know that we will pay this forward" we say to Tim, the owner of the Family Steakhouse in Potosi as he refunds us our money for the breakfast. Nathan had told us to stop in for breakfast and then next door at the Country Market we could do our shopping for supplies. This will be our last opportunity for today, we were told many times there will be nothing along the road after here.

Missouri is hilly. Again today the hills were non-stop. The dips too, those are hills created because the road just dips down then back up to the same elevation. The road to Potosi has more gentle climbing with a good shoulder. Turning off onto route 185 though the hills became more frequent and steeper. After 60km and we reach the top of the first hill climb, there is a surprise Mercantile Shop and we stop for a cold drink. This truly is all that there is along the route. Patrick rescues another turtle trying to cross the road. Later in the campground on the bulletin board there's a notice that "turtles are on the move" and to watch out for them

We have two more dips then arrive at Meramec State Park. Happy that we are at the end of today's road, the ranger at the visitor center gives us directions to the campground, another 3 miles and over a "big hill" she says twice emphasizing the hill. As we reach the big hill, also very steep, the rain begins, then lightens up. There is a restaurant at the top and Patrick rides in to get us some cold cokes for the campground. We find a site, drink our cokes and eat potato chips, while looking at dark clouds.

While Rachel takes a shower, Patrick pitches the tent and just in time as the rain comes down. We huddle in the tent and to our surprise find a WiFi signal! It is now getting later, and the rain and thunder still have not let up. We have food to cook for dinner, but neither of us fancy cooking in the rain. It might turn into a sandwich dinner night. At least we got our journal caught up again.

On our way out of Farmington. Just making sure we have the "right" highway 67 here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patrick runs over a metal wire that used to be the handle for a 5 gallon bucket. It wraps itself around the rear axle and bends two spokes in the process. The spokes can be straightened or replaced later, the 48 spoke wheel is still true. This could have been much worse and possibly broken the derailleur had it caught on the other side of the wheel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Abandoned factory or mine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
With Tim the owner of the Family Steakhouse in Potosi. He is interested in our trip and refunds us our money for breakfast. What a nice gesture. We tell him we will pay it forward.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice building in Potosi.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lady at a antique shop asks us about our trip while we are stopped at the roadside for the previous photo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An unexpected treat. Cold drinks and a snickers bar somewhere halfway down route 185.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Saved another turtle. This did cost Patrick the momentum to zip up this hill though.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Thunderstorms building ahead. We make it almost to the campground before it lets loose.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Butterfly on flower. Thank you William for identifying the Spicebush Swallowtail butterfly!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Butterfly on flower.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Winding and hilly road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice set of mailboxes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
You live in a trailer somewhere in nowhere Missouri. Your side lost the war a long time ago and you still haven't heard? Nice skies though.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Clouds building over the Missouri hills.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 94 km (58 miles)
Total: 37,391 km (23,220 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0