to Devgad: ups and downs along the Konkan Coast - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

February 7, 2016

to Devgad: ups and downs along the Konkan Coast

"Man, that was a killer hill for the end of the day," we both said. Rachel had to push up the steepest part of the final hill for today, Patrick rode up all the way.

This morning we were both feeling better, but not 100%, and decide to go on anyway. We stay on Maharastra State Highway 4 out of Malvan until the road makes a sharp left turn and we continued straight onto a secondary road, MDR 13. At 20kms we stop for coffee, just before we start the first long climb then again we are on a quiet undulating plateau until a nice descent. There's very little traffic and lots of dogs.

We cycle along the mango groves and stop at roadside stall selling mango products. Perfect timing for a cold mango juice! "Here, as a gift" the boy selling the products gives Patrick a packet of mango pulp (like fruit leather). Eventually we get to a bridge that crosses a river to the right, this is the point we go left to take a shortcut back to NH4. Then we are on that 2km killer hill.

Reaching town just after noon, we head for the Galaxy Hotel where other cyclists have stayed. The price eventually dropped to 1500rps, a bit pricey, but it's not just a room, it's a suite. A sitting room with two day beds, large bedroom, and a balcony with a view. Hot water is not available except in the mornings, but the staff brings us two buckets of steaming hot water for a bath. Enough left over to do the laundry. The restaurant isn't open, however, the staff went out to get us a masala dosa and puri. For dinner, we have a vegetarian Thali. A thali is the safest to order with language barrier limiting communication and understanding. And Rachel had her first Thums Up drink, India's answer to coke.

Tomorrow onto Rajipur.

Early morning in Malvan, loading the bikes while ignoring the cow.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We see several modern developments today. Most seem like they were started quite a while ago.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We forgot our clothesline at Kalavi Beach. It is mostly used these days to string a line across the bed to hang our mosquito net from. At this shop we find a new one.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Each of these boats has about a dozen guys using long poles with some kind of bucket at the end to dredge the bottom of the river for sand. The boats are loaded so full they barely stay afloat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Up on the plateaus there is not much soil covering the volcanic rock. People have built walls with stones and smaller rock circles with soil inside to plant the mango trees.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Roadside temple. There is a large rock in this one with a small shrine. Wooden legs, feet and arms are displayed next to it. We don't know why.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Alphonso mango plantation shop. We buy some juice and dried fruit and as a gift we are given a pouch of mango pulp.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Short-cut back to route 4.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A couple of very steep hairpins just before reaching Devgad.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 12,493 km (7,758 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0