to Malvan: we "burn a sickday" - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

February 6, 2016

to Malvan: we "burn a sickday"

"I didn't sleep so well, nauseous most of the night" Rachel says. "Can you cycle?" Patrick asks. We decided to move on at least back to the main road. Our meals of Idli snack, lunch, dinner and tea came to 1900 rupees, a very good value. Not sure what is upsetting Rachel's stomach, Patrick has a touch of it too off and on. We did choose to drink the well water, so that could be part of the problem.

Back to the main road, we start a climb. Rachel is not getting better so we go back to the junction and wait to see if we can get a ride. Patrick talks with the locals also gathering at the intersection, one of them calls a "tempo", a truck taxi, and helps negotiate the price of 800 rupees for the 40kms to Malvan. It's disappointing to not cycle, but makes for a better decision in the long run to keep moving and rest to recover. So we have very few pictures for today.

By 1030am we are in Malvan, we are dropped off at the bus station, reload the bikes and head through the town looking for accommodation. First we try what is probably the nicest hotel in town, but the price lowered to 2500 rupees for not really that nice of room, we search on and find the Sun and Sand guesthouse for only 700Rps.

Rachel sleeps, Patrick goes out for food and water only neither of us have an appetite. Patrick also takes a nap. We only eat cookies and a mango drink. We will see how we are feeling tomorrow and decide whether to stay here or move on.

Govind Keluskar, the friendly manager of Sita Beach Cottages.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Through the alleys of Kavali and back to the main road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rachel walking past the village well. It produces the brackish water used for bathing and washing. The drinking water comes from a second well further up the hill.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A hybrid toilet in our Malvan room.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 6 km (4 miles)
Total: 12,443 km (7,727 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0