to Banks: long ride and a visit with friends - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

October 13, 2017

to Banks: long ride and a visit with friends

"Do you want the good news first or the bad news" Judy says to Patrick as we are starting to pack up for our next to last day on the road. "The good news, it's warmer than predicted: 34F degrees. You can hear the bad news", she says. We can indeed hear a strong wind blowing, and there is some light snow falling.

We leave their cabin and head back onto Highway 55 towards Boise. The weather seems to clear up a bit when we reach Cascade, but we are in for a surprise. After a second breakfast at the local cafe we find that dark storm clouds have come over the western mountains. Not far out of town we are overtaken by a snowstorm. At first the snow that hits the ground melts and we are only riding on wet surface. The snowflakes are stinging our eyes and lips. Then the snow starts to stick to the road and it gets slick. Together with the busy traffic on the highway and the narrow shoulder it becomes dangerous. There aren't any good options though; nowhere to seek shelter until the cafe on the intersection with the Cabarton Road. We are happy to find it open and dripping wet, we seek shelter in a booth next to the heater. After hot chocolate and a slice of carrot cake the sun has broken through and we set off again. Just to run into the next storm. Fortunately we are losing elevation now and the snow turns to rain.

At Banks, we stop again at the bar / restaurant. We need a beer and something hot. Their chili is great. When the waitress finds out about our trip, we get the beer on the house. Only about ten more kilometers to go to our final campsite. On the banks of the Payette River is Chief Parish, a "day-use-area" where rafters can stop to use the outhouse. There are some picnic tables and a grassy area. You are not supposed to camp here, but the barrier is down across the access road and we do not expect to get disturbed. Except of course by our friends that know where we are and are coming out to spend the last evening on-the-road with us.

After we pitch our tent there is not much else to do but get into the tent and under the sleeping bags to stay warm. Just before dark our friends Gordon, Bob and Cynthia arrive. We have not seen them for thirty months. They have brought drinks, food and firewood. All we need for a very pleasant evening enjoying the warmth of the fire and our friendship.

Our last night out, tomorrow home!

A dusting of snow blankets the ground when we leave Frank and Judy's cabin in Donnelly.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A river crossing, light snow has covered the shores.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patrick has had a slow leak in his front tire for several days now. Instead of fixing it permanently we keep adding air every other day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More threatening clouds. Winter has come early to the high country of Central Idaho.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rachel and the mountains near Cascade
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fall colors and an early dusting of snow.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Time to head home, that white stuff is no fun to ride in.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Downhill into the Long Valley and breakfast in Cascade.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Very nice Catholic church in Cascade
Heart 0 Comment 0
Abandoned farmhouse near Cascade
Heart 0 Comment 0
The light snow turns into a white-out. Our only choice is to keep going, it is too cold to wait it out.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We find shelter, hot chocolate and pie at a roadside restaurant at Cabarton Road. In summertime we start our float trips down the North Fork of the Payette River here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The historic Rainbow Bridge over the North Fork of the Payette River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There is a restaurant in the small town of Banks. We enjoy a good beer and chili. The beer is on the house after they hear about our trip.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The weather is improving when we depart the Banks restaurant for our last campsite of this trip.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our last night on the road we camp at Chief Parish, a day-use area along the Payette River. It is closed for the season, but that does not stop these cyclists.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Payette River. A nice beach and still plenty of water.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our good friends Gordon, Bob and Cynthia join us for our last evening out. They brought food, drink and shelter.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gordon passing his whiskey flask around.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We set-up a shelter to stay dry during the rainstorms that keep passing over.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fire is going, food is almost ready.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our last night-out is spent camping with good friends. The cold and dampness is not a factor anymore.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 96 km (60 miles)
Total: 41,081 km (25,511 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0