to Donnelly: short ride and a visit with friends - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

October 12, 2017

to Donnelly: short ride and a visit with friends

"Mama fell" just as we find the driveway to Judi and Frank's cabin in Donnelly, reminiscent of the African "mama fell" episode. Today is a short day in lieu of a restday we had originally planned in Grangeville.

When we look out the window of our cozy warmshowers home, there is a dusting of snow on the ground. Jim and Pam fix us a nice breakfast and we wait for a later start hoping the snow melts a bit. When we finally say our goodbyes to new friends and take the back roads out of McCall per their suggestions. We needed one check with the GPS, then find the road that parallels the main highway south from McCall. After some miles and a few zigzags we return to Highway 55.

We are warmly welcome by Judi and Frank and their cabin is lovely. As the start of this day's journal entry suggests Rachel takes a little spill when turning too sharp into the sand driveway. No harm though. The fireplace is cozy and the views towards the mountains are great. We spent the afternoon catching up on stories and we take a short drive to see some historic traditional Finish buildings in Rosebery, the original location of this settlement. When the railroad passed by a mile or so to the west the town was moved and became Donnely.

It is going to be a cold night with more snow on the way, but for tonight we have a hot tub! One more night on the road!

Checking the GPS one more time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Threatening clouds over the Payette National Forest in Central Idaho.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A short ride to Donnelly brings us to our friends Frank and Judy's cabin.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Historic Finnish buildings in Rosebery. The story goes that the Finnish bachelors of the town built these cabins to lure womenfolk this way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the "love shacks"
Heart 0 Comment 0
Interesting corner detail on the log buildings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Interior of a log cabin.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Judy, Frank and their dog overlooking the dry end of Cascade Reservoir.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Who cares that it is a cold blustery evening when you have a hot tub to soak in?
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 24 km (15 miles)
Total: 40,985 km (25,452 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0