to Baile Felix: into Romania - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

May 9, 2015

to Baile Felix: into Romania

Border crossings just aren't the same anymore now with the European Union. Only one stamp in our passports from entering Holland. Today though is different. We cross into Romania that is not part of the schengen agreement, 26 European countries that abolished passport border controls. There is a huge covered customs area, but today there are only 6 guys behind a folding table checking passports. Our passports are taken, we are waved to wait "5 minutes". The passports are given back to us, and that was that, we enter Romania.

Next order of business is to change money. This too has changed, no longer do women swarm you as you cross the border wanting to exchange money. Up until now, we have quickly found a bank ATM for new currency. Today Patrick goes to one of the moneychanger booths and exchanges our Hungarian Florins for Romanian Leu. About 4 Leu to a dollar.

Impressions of Hungary

1) Hungarian people, especially in big tourist areas, are very patient and nice

2) Interesting that the red hair dye first noticed in Germany, then CZ Rep, continues in Hungary.

3) Never figured out what to do about toilet paper as it varied between campgrounds. Some campgrounds the toilet paper was outside the stalls, so you had to figure out how much was needed before going into the stall. Some, the TP goes into the bin beside the toilet, others, the TP is flushed.

4) The motor drivers pay attention to what is on the road and very considerate, including the big trucks

5) When passing through villages, the houses now have front gardens and many have vineyards in their side garden. As we've moved on, Germany trees were just budding, cherry trees and forsynthia blooming into Czech Republic the lilacs and tulips and in Hungary the gardens are full bloom with Lilacs and Iris.

6) Storks, storks nests with baby storks and more storks! Every town had at least one storks nest.

7) Bundled grasses swirling into a haystack

8) Prairie like grasses, farmland and marshes

9) Money: Florin, 300 = 1 Euro

10)Langos: an indian fried bread with about any topping you'd want

11) Need to learn more history about Hungary

Romania! Our next country.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The rates are better in Oradea, but we change our left-over Hungarian Florins at the border so we have some money.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Abandoned factories and general ugliness between the border and Oradea.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There is a bike lane though leading into the city.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We understand from our guidebook that the city center of Oradea is pretty, the outskirts are like this.....
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the campground in Baile Felix, figuring out our route through Romania over a beer and coke
Heart 0 Comment 0
Monstrous soviet style hotels in Baile Felix. People flock here for the thermal baths.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And a small wooden church amidst all of this.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 93 km (58 miles)
Total: 2,168 km (1,346 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0