to Stei: taking the back-roads, more kilometers but rewarding - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

May 10, 2015

to Stei: taking the back-roads, more kilometers but rewarding

"Ouch this hurts", we haven't had hills for 3 days and now there is one right out of the campground! The hills through forested countryside continue for another 20 kms, then we reach a ridge and a long slow descent to follow the Cnsul Negru River and railroad and a gradual climb to Stei.

We are beginning to see another culture not totally similar to our own. The villages with house fronts right up to the street, no longer the buffer with gardens as we saw in Hungary. In the countryside, we see sheep herders with dogs tending the herds, and the same with cattle. Occasionally there is a horse drawn wagon on the road.

Taking the backroads requires frequent checking of the tablet at intersections not on our paper map. Oh how quickly we have finally adapted to this GPS technology, we are moving up in the techno world!

As soon as we leave the main road we start passing through small villages with traditional houses.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sheep and goats block the road.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sometimes the asphalt disappears and the cobblestones underneath are all that's left.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We make frequent use of Google maps, even though we are off-line the app shows us a map with most of the roads and uses gps to show our location.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Water well
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another wooden church, with thunderstorms brewing over the mountains.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another village.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 90 km (56 miles)
Total: 2,258 km (1,402 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0