to Aquiles Serdan: we call this - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

July 16, 2017

to Aquiles Serdan: we call this

The next two days are going to be short days. It is too long a haul for us to head for Aldama in one day, so instead of taking a full restday we'll do a two short days to get there. Today is the first one.

From Tampico Alto we climb a small ridge, then descend to the river and climb again over a large suspension bridge. Below us is the city of Tampico, a large river full of barges, a couple of drilling rigs and all kinds of oil exploration support vessels. Across the bridge we head for the coast and follow a wide but quiet road along several refineries and all kinds of heavy industry. The road stays wide and very well kept, with hardly any traffic until we pass a large container harbor. Then it narrows from a four-lane to two with nice wide shoulders.

With only 15 kilometers to go we find a Subway restaurant and an Oxxo. A cold drink and a take out sandwich for lunch when we get to our destination. Two guys on motorcycles chat with us as we take a break.

The small town of Aquiles Serdan is pretty much dying since the new road bypasses the town. Googlemaps shows a hotel there and we find it, albeit in a different location. First impressions are not so good, the outside is a bit rough. The room is nice enough though, with a king size bed, AC that works and a warm shower. The cable TV is disconnected because, as the owner tells us, he did not pay his fees so they cut the cable. There is no WiFi either. We decide to save the sandwich for dinner and go next door to the restaurant Don Tino. We have a nice fried shrimp meal and then find the shop that sells beer. A separate small store sells chips and cokes. Turns out it was good to have the meal at lunchtime because the restaurant was closed later.

Without WiFi it's good that we are carrying books. We spend the afternoon reading our books.

Big suspension bridge at Tampico.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Friendly guys we met at an Oxxo lunch break.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hotel Barranca. It is basic, but at least it is here.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 59 km (37 miles)
Total: 35,234 km (21,880 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0