to Alexandroupoli: and a swim in the Mediteranean  - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

May 31, 2015

to Alexandroupoli: and a swim in the Mediteranean 

Today will be another short day instead of a rest day. From Platanitis, we start climbing up and away from the sea and go through the small village of Maroneia just as the Sunday church bells were ringing.

We have a slow downhill until we reach Krovili and at an intersection not quite sure which way to go. We still marvel at what in the past would take time in checking paper maps, or waiting to see a local to ask directions, or guessing and continuing on with doubt whether the direction was correct, now is done quickly on the tablet GPS. We know all of you who have travelled with technology are laughing and will shake your heads at us for finally adapting to the 21st century. Now Rachel understands when at home and we've had Warmshowers guest contact us, that they rarely wanted directions to our place.

Eventually we connect up to route 2 again at Mesti. This stretch first climbs up and then along the ridge and sections of the "Via Egnatia", an old Roman Road can be seen.

On the long descent (with some short uphill, it's never all downhill), we once again see the Mediterranean and we see cyclists with loaded bikes coming up the hill. We have not seen any other cyclists touring since the French couple cycling the Danube River route. We stop and chat exchanging information on each other's route. They are a retired couple from England and have been cycling in Turkey for a month with 2-3 months more before returning home. We find out the that municipal campground in Alexandroupoli is very nice and about a guesthouse in Kesan that was basic and clean. They had also been in contact with the same Warmshowers host in Kesan as us. The host can't put people up but is very helpful with names of guesthouses. The Brits had told her of the Campus 22 where they had stayed. We tell them about our route coming from Kavala and how to get around a bridge that was out on one section. Exchanging information is a hallmark of stopping and talking with other travellers. Though technology is slowly changing that need.

We continue on and reach the campground around noon. Our routine is to get an early start and be at our destination early. We set up camp, check out the beach, clean up and enjoy the afternoon. Another cycle tourists from Slovenia is also in the campground. There is an instant connection made with other cyclist on tour. We check our email one more time before sleep, there is a message from the Kesan Warmshowers host about a guesthouse she just heard about...Campus 22.

Early morning along the Mediterranean.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Then the first climb. The whole landscape slopes up away from the sea, it is hard to gauge how steep it is, but our legs tell us it is.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have started seeing mosques in some of the villages.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The municipal campground in Alexandroupoli is right on the beach.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 54 km (34 miles)
Total: 3,307 km (2,054 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0