to Krioneri: along the coast - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

May 30, 2015

to Krioneri: along the coast

There are bugs flying everywhere, "Keep your mouth closed", Patrick says just as Rachel starts coughing because of swallowing a bug. This is to be a short day instead of taking a rest day. As we've gotten older, we are finding this strategy working best. Long days takes a longer recovery period unlike in earlier times when we could do more day after day.

As we set out from the beach, again the tiny frogs are out on the road. We try to miss them but it's one of those mysteries of why that frog is on the road at that time to intersect with the bike wheel.

Along the way, we rescue a turtle crossing the road, certain that it would be hit if left to cross on its own power. Rachel is thinking we've added some good karma when we come to a bridge that is out. It looks treacherous to cross, and deciding whether to try or not, a farmer on a motor bike speeds up and says "3 kms" and points along the river, then "3 kms" he points back to the other side. Knowing this alternative, makes the decision easier, so we follow his advice.

Patrick had emailed the campground and confirmed that it was open. We are a bit early in the season.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Rachel saves a turtle trying to cross the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our road follows the coast for the last part of the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typically that means some climbing though.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And downhills. Krioneri, our destination for today is at the bottom of this hill.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Relaxing at the campground. Good wifi and some shade.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 3,253 km (2,020 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0