three days in Urumqi: junkfood! - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

September 10, 2016

three days in Urumqi: junkfood!

During the three days we rested in Urumqi, we eat at Burger King twice, Pizza Hut twice, once at a fried chicken place and once at a donut place. Lots of junkfood!

The food in China sure is much better than what we found in the Stans, but we are a bit tired of the Lagman noodles and are craving a change. The Burger King is pretty much like at home, the Pizza Hut though is a lot fancier with a very nice pizza and a good Cob Salad.

Our hotel is called “Home Inn Urumqi Haulin Market” we booked it on Booking.com. The location is pretty good halfway between the Carrefour and Burger King with many shops and food options right out the door. The location on Booking.com is wrong though, it is located at the next major road to the south, near a large interchange with a major north-south highway. To the west is a large covered bazar, probably the Haulin Market.'

We do a lot of shopping at the Carrefour and also at a modern supermarket in the basement of the Parkson Mall. We score peanut butter and good pastries, but no Nutella. Some Chinese chocolate spread will have to do for now. One afternoon we spent at the Xinjiang museum. We expected to see more of the Silk Route, but the main thrust of the museum seems to explain how Xinjiang has always been inhabited by many different peoples whom all got united once the Han Chinese came in. All part of the “Harmonious Society”.

Speaking about that, the level of “security” is incredible. Everywhere are metal detectors that beep with every person walking through. Everywhere are guards that take cursory looks in bags. There is heavily armed police and military on just about every street corner, automatic rifles and all. On Friday, the Muslim holy day, the level is even higher with many Chinese citizens armed with wooden clubs at strategic points. Some look like ninjas, others look bored and not quite sure what they are doing.

But back to the museum, one of the highlights for us are the mummies.

Downtown Urumqi. We like the city, it doesn't feel as "new" as the other towns we have stayed in. There are street markets and lots of stuff going on.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Donuts in Urumqi.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Enjoing a whopper.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stone carving at the Xinjiang museum.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stone statues at the Xinjiang museum.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The "Loulan Beauty" mummy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is what she might have looked like before she got old, died and shriveled up in the dry desert air.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another mummy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Downtown Urumqi.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Guy selling metal wire trinkets. Rachel has two dangling off the back of her bike now.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Spices.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Advertising at the large shopping center next to our hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Buying some roasted chestnuts.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Woman selling quail eggs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0