restday Sheridan: we saw a moose - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

September 17, 2017

restday Sheridan: we saw a moose

We are taking a restday in Sheridan. Pearl’s daughter built a very nice house in an upscale “golf-course” subdivision just south of Sheridan. The house is full of vintage details and lots of reclaimed lumber was used in the construction. The family is on a road trip though for a soccer tournament so we have the house to ourselves with Pearl. Pearl fixes a nice breakfast and we enjoy a relaxed Sunday morning with lots of coffee and nice views over the Big Horn Mountains to our West.

Since we cannot laze around all day we decide to take a drive up Red Grade Road and go for a short hike up there. The Big Horn Mountains are pretty amazing in how they just rise from the plains. We climb and climb until we get into the trees and snow. The storms from the last two days have left a couple of inches of fresh snow; winter is coming early to these parts. We take a short hike, enjoyed by all including the three dogs that joined us.

On the way back down we spot a moose family in a meadow near a creek. There is a mama moose, her calf from this year, and probably her calf from two years ago. Also nearby is a large bull moose with an impressive rack. We park in a small side road right in the path of the direction the animals are moving. Slowly the bull moose approaches us to within about twenty feet. He makes soft grunting sounds that are responded to by the cow moose. They are very aware of our presence and proceed cautiously, but slowly they make their way around us while we watch them and make photos. The highlight of our day!

Back down the mountain we go to a Sheridan steakhouse for an excellent meal and Guinness on draft. So much food….. The evening is spent indoors watching football and meeting Pearls daughter and her family returning from their trip.

Fresh snow in the Big Horn Mountains.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fall colors along a creek in the Big Horn Mountains.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Moose family in the Big Horn Mountains.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bull Moose.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bull Moose.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View over the Sheridan Valley from the Big Horn Mountains.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0