to Sheridan: surprise meeting up with a Boise friend - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

September 16, 2017

to Sheridan: surprise meeting up with a Boise friend

"Look left, see the antelope" "look at three o'clock on the right: see the deer." "There are turkeys on the right" and that's the way the ride goes all the way to Sheridan. So much wildlife!

After packing up, we talk with the men who have arrived to start cooking breakfast in the church kitchen and have a cup of coffee. We roll our bikes to the front of the church because the cleaning ladies are starting to wash the floor. It's so cute, the cleaning ladies are wearing cowboy boots. When it's 7am, we go back to the cafe and have a breakfast burrito. The first 37km are uphill, rain threatens and it is cold.

When we reach Ucross, we see the buildings of the Ucross Foundation. This is a 20,000 acre working cattle ranch turned non-profit by owner Raymond Plank. The mission is to foster creative expression by artists through residency programs. We stop at the Chapel that is modeled after the Church of the Good Shepard at Lake Tekapo in New Zealand. The grounds around the chapel are beautifully landscaped.

The last 30 km into Sheridan is mostly downhill with a few bumps. Just a couple of days ago we heard from our friend Pearl that she is staying with her kids in Sheridan. We are invited to stay as well. So when we get to town we make a beeline for the McDonald's. For one to warm up and eat something, but also to use their WiFi to contact Pearl. The house is about nine kilometers south of town in a golf course subdivision. Pearl graciously drives into town to pick us up.

It is good to see a Boise friend. It's becoming more real that we are headed home. The house is beautiful, we get a nice room and bathroom; we clean and warm up okay. In the afternoon we drive to town to have a beer at the famous "The Mint" bar and later we have very good pizza in the little town of Big Horn where we meet Pearl's son Joseph, his girlfriend and their two weeks old daughter.

City park in Clearmont. Many cyclists have camped here, but we would suggest first go looking for Pastor Shane next time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fertile valley outside of Clearmont.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chapel at Ucross.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the Ucross Chapel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ucross Wyoming ranch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have a long gradual climb to a summit then a nice downhill starts.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wyoming hills. It is cold and wet today, but fortunately no wind.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the downhill to Sheridan.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Herd of horses near Sheridan.
Heart 0 Comment 0
All wrapped up in Sheridan. Pearl collects us at the McDonald's.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pearl and Rachel at the Mint Bar in Sheridan.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cheers!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sacajawea statue in Sheridan.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 63 km (39 miles)
Total: 39,655 km (24,626 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0