restday Granada: a fine colonial city - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

June 10, 2017

restday Granada: a fine colonial city

A restday today. After cycling seven days straight we need one. As we wake up and try to decide which one of us is getting the coffee from the hostel kitchen, a huge thunderclap announces the arrival of a tremendous downpour. And it pours. We feel good about not being on our bikes today. A large gutter with an apparent clogged downspout comes crashing down in the courtyard, that could have hurt someone.

We drink our coffee, Patrick does some bike maintenance while Rachel does some laundry, and catch up on internet things. When the rain stops, we walk back to downtown for an awesome American style breakfast at "the wafflehouse". We have not had a breakfast like this since we went to that 50's style restaurant in Delhi with Karan and Mussarat almost a year ago.

We walk around the city, taking photos of colorful buildings, several churches and a market. streets are clean and the front of the houses and stores very colorfully painted. It's surprising to think of the courtyards behind the doors. The people are friendly and the city feels peaceful. Then back to the hotel and a quick dip in the pool to cool off. The afternoon is downtime reading and catching up with the journal and then another brief rainstorm before venturing out again for dinner.

Onward tomorrow, to San Benito, 70 kms then the plan is to catch a ride to Esteli. Slowly we are making up the days we need to follow the timeline for home.

Renovations going on at this Church. The horse cart is hauling away the debris.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Small city park in Granada.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stumbled upon the Dutch consulate in Granada.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mural on Granada wall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical bay window detail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Granada's cathedral on the plaza.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Colorful bikes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another shot of the cathedtal
Heart 0 Comment 0
Shoe-shiner in the Granada plaza.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old US school buses are used for public transportation in Central America.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Locked bike in Granada.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Colorful street
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bike wheels for sale
Heart 0 Comment 0
Taking a nap between rides.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Horse drawn carts are used around the old town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fixing some dings before the new paint goes on.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Iglesia la Merced. For a dollar you can climb the bell tower for a nice view.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View over Granada.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the bell tower
Heart 0 Comment 0
View over Granada.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View towards the cathedral and Lake Nicaragua.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Colorful Granada street scene.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0