to Granada: a beautiful sunrise - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

June 9, 2017

to Granada: a beautiful sunrise

"Let's ride to the lake first for the Sunrise" Patrick says as we are packed and ready to roll. Only a few hundred meters from the hotel is the lakeshore, not very pretty except for this morning a beautiful sunrise over Volcano Concepcion in Lake Colcibolca.

We take a few back roads to rejoin the main road and still getting use to how the drivers in Nicaragua are towards cyclists. The road is wide but the white line marks a small shoulder. We are finding the same as in other countries so far, trucks will slow to pass when they can move over giving us space. The buses are international school buses brightly painted and not quite as sharing of the road.

There's only an occasional roadside shop. The road is mostly tree lined, and when shaded makes a difference in the hot sun. In the town of Nandaime we stop for a cold drink and finish the last of our snacks for the road. Some we've carried since Colombia. We ride into Granada and find the GM Hotel by 11am, Patrick had made a reservation. After a quick shower, we don our swimsuits for a short plunge before heading out for lunch. The hotel is a 5-10 minute walk to the main plaza. The "gringo" street offers many choices for restaurants, we decide on an Irish Pub and have nachos and Shepard's pie together with two nice sized and ice cold bottles of Victoria cerveza.

The rest of the day is relaxing and tomorrow a rest day.

Volcano Conception at sunrise.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Volcano Conception and Lake Nicaragua at sunrise.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the shores of Lake Nicaragua. Volcano Conception behind us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not everyone is happy with Daniel Ortega it seems.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Figuring out which way to go
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical sprawling ramshackle house.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looks like a roadhouse in Australia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Big truck and bigger tree.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful blooming tree with a million butterflies.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A real gaucho. Are those strips hanging down from the stirrup only for decoration?
Heart 0 Comment 0
More arid landscape with Volcan Mombacho behind barely visible.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nearing Granada. We are going to avoid Managua.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cemetery on the outskirts of Granada.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Arrived at the GM Granada Hostel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cooling off in the pool at the GM Granada Hostel. A cheap place with a nice pool is a great find.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An Irish pub in Nicaragua!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patrick has to try the shepherds pie. Plus a little cerveza to re-hydrate.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rachel and a huge plate of nachos.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 72 km (45 miles)
Total: 33,020 km (20,505 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0