Day 99: Keene to Hillsborough - Racpat Northern Tier 2021 - CycleBlaze

September 7, 2021

Day 99: Keene to Hillsborough

"let's get there" versus scenic ride

“If we were in another country on a low budget, this would be where we would have found accommodations,” Patrick says as we are in the main area of Keene looking at the church. “And we would have then spent the evening watching and looking around,” Rachel adds. We’ve been reflecting on how different travel has been in our own country. Some things just seem more difficult, and not easy to travel on a low budget.

We pack up and ride back to the Ashuelot Trail. The trail greatly improved yesterday after we passed the Speedway, and continues to be a great trail into Keene today. We find a coffee shop for a second breakfast then set out towards Highway 9. Charlie, the warmshowers host we will reach tomorrow has given us detail route instructions for a nice bike route. It starts by following the “old Concord road” that then leads us to route 9. There is a major hill. Then we get to the main highway. It has a wide shoulder, but is very busy with traffic. The hills are forest covered and green with just the hint of fall color. We are hoping we are not too early to see the change in colors on the hillside.

When we reach the junction to Route 123 Hillsboro is another 13 miles down highway 9. We have to decide whether to follow Charlie’s advice and turn off Highway 9 and ride about 20 more miles on a more indirect route, or continue straight to Hillsboro. The desire to see more scenic back road is over ridden by the desire to “let’s get there.” We stay on Highway 9 and get to Hillsboro by one.

First stop is a gas station to refill our fuel bottle at a cost of $.47 since we are now camping and cooking more. Then, to the Shaw’s grocery store for tonight’s dinner. The Oxbow campground is about a miles south of town. We had contacted a for a warmshowers host south of here, but they had to refuse us because they are quarantining for a visit to Canada. They felt bad about refusing us and have graciously paid for our campsite and left us a box of peanut m&m’s.

We promise them we will pay it forward.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Much improved Ashuelot Trail
Heart 1 Comment 0
Keene
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Patrick finds another treasure...always on an uphill.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oxbow Campground outside Hillsboro, with Don't Tread on Me flag
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 36 miles (58 km)
Total: 3,936 miles (6,334 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Scott AndersonYou’re right, I think. It is harder traveling in our country, regardless of budget issues. You two are amazing though. Almost there! It looks like you’ll hit 4 thousand miles!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago