Day 85: Brockport to Manchester - Racpat Northern Tier 2021 - CycleBlaze

August 24, 2021

Day 85: Brockport to Manchester

Off the trail for accommodations

Gloria fixes us breakfast of French toast sandwiches that we have in the early morning light on the patio. We are going for another early start to try to beat the heat.

The Erie Canal Heritage Trail follows the original 85mile towpath to the Erie Canal from Lockport to Palmyra. The entire Erie Canalway is 365 miles between Buffalo and Albany and parallels historic sections of the Erie Canal. This is also part of the 750mile Empire State Trail that crosses New York.

 Our original plan was to camp tonight near Montezuma, but that is out: way to hot and muggy to spend an afternoon trying to find shade and a night sweating inside a tent. Instead we have made reservations at a (relatively) cheap motel near the Interstate six miles south of Palmyra.

First we have to get around Rochester though. The trail does a good job directing us, mostly on bike trails, through some derelict areas full of industry, some still operational or abandoned. There is lots of graffiti and vandalism along the way. The road south from Palmyra is not as bad as we feared, there is only a minimal shoulder, but traffic isn’t too bad and the hills are manageable.

We pass by Cumorah Hill, a place of significance for the Mormons since it was here that Joseph Smith found the golden plates that became the Book of Mormon. We only find the Manchester Inn, right along I-90. It looks a bit rough and even though it is the cheapest in the area it is still overpriced. But they let us in early, the AC works and there is food nearby. Rachel gets us New York style pizza for lunch, lots of cold drinks and for dinner we visit the Golden Arches across the street.

 

Gloria fixes us a nice french toast sandwich as we set off very early to beat the heat
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Genese River to the left and the Canal on the right
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 52 miles (84 km)
Total: 3,530 miles (5,681 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Joanna HanselmannThis heat must have been awful! Joanna, Sleepy Hollow
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Joanna HanselmannHi Joanna,
Its been more muggy that makes the heat worse....we see the forecast that we may get some reprieve...tgen its pnly a matter of time and well be complaining about the cold 😉
Thanks for following
Racpat
Reply to this comment
2 years ago